PDA

View Full Version : betting the bottom end of a straight?

bigredlemon
12-19-2004, 12:24 AM
5 players. Blinds at 50/100. You have ~1500 as does everyone else.

UTG limps in. You on the button with 34s decides to make a steal for 200 to go. SB, BB, and UTG calls!!

Flop is 567 rainbow. SB bets out 250. BB calls. UTG raises it to 500.

You put UTG on a big pair that wants to protect from anyone drawing a straight. SB and BB could top pair, two pair, open-ended draws with and a pair, or a nut full house.

The pot is fairly large now, and whoever takes this down will take a huge lead and probably place 1st. Everyone still has enough chips to walk away from it in shape if they are drawing dead.

What do you do?

Push, and hope for the best?

Call, and decide on the turn, with half your stack invested?

Fold, and let them knock each other out and try to make it ITM? (the stacks might be 1250 vs 1250,1500,3500. You'll have to fight to make it ITM and might not get a better chance.

adanthar
12-19-2004, 12:36 AM
First mistake: minraising.
Second mistake: minraising trash with an EP limper.

Third and by far your biggest mistake: playing scared poker when you have a straight. You don't have a decision to make; you have a straight. Maybe you'd have one to make if you had 500 BB or were playing for 1 million dollars or something; I don't know, because I don't play live and the stakes online are nice and low.

Here, you should push now because their sets and 87 and 65 and AA and whatever else will call and hey, you have a straight and wouldn't wanna have to dump it if an 8 hit the turn or something.

Big Limpin'
12-19-2004, 12:38 AM
I think that fact that you have low str8 wont be a factor. It was only a min-raise preflop, but its unlikely anyone has a str8 also.

I think they all have overpairs/sets. YOu win if the board doesnt pair. Nothing wrong with pushing, but i would try to do what i can to get multi-all-ins. I guess smooth call the 500, and hope SB and BB come along for the ride.

I'd expect a push to come from UTG on the turn.

If the board does pair, you still beat the overpairs, just the sets beat you. I dont think thats TOO much risk to take if you can get tripled up vs. doubled up.

adanthar
12-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Smooth calling doesn't really work here because if there's a thinking player in the lot they may put you on eights after you all in on the turn.

This way, hey, he has 99 so he's beating your AK bluff, right?

bigredlemon
12-19-2004, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First mistake: minraising.
Second mistake: minraising trash with an EP limper.

[/ QUOTE ]
*correction, the blinds must have been 25/50 because it was not a min raise, which is why I was surprised everyone limped in.

bigredlemon
12-19-2004, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Third and by far your biggest mistake: playing scared poker when you have a straight. You don't have a decision to make; you have a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]You're probably right on that... I was playing weak poker until I found 2+2.

Results:
I sadly, folded. (Which now I realize, was a very bad mistake.) In my defense, I was more used to playing Omaha.

UTG had KK. SB folded. BB had 47 (!!??)
8 came to give him the straight and he took my pot down.

Big Limpin'
12-19-2004, 01:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Smooth calling doesn't really work here because if there's a thinking player in the lot they may put you on eights after you all in on the turn.

This way, hey, he has 99 so he's beating your AK bluff, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a really great point. Pushing seems weaker to them...and is MORE likely to be called.