PDA

View Full Version : Datamining question

sin808
12-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Something I've been wondering about recently.
I see alot of posts about people who are going to move up, and recommendations that they datamine the level first. My question is, when you datamine do you only do it for one particular level? The level your at or the one your moving to?

I personally collect stats at all levels from my current, all the way up to 30/60. I tend to collect more often from the next two levels up, followed by my current and then the higher limits. My thinking is that I will (hopefully) one day be playing at any of the limits I am collecting data from, and therefore it makes sense for me to start collecting stats on those limits now and not wait. Also that the people at the SS limits will probably move up and be at the higher limits by the time I get there.
I get the impression from some of the posts that not many people do that, but just mine their current and next limit up.

Sooo, what do you do?

Alobar
12-18-2004, 11:56 PM
I just collect at the current level. Each level I datamine has its own DB cuz they get so big since I DM 16 tables pretty much 24/7. When I move up to the next level, I'll just make a new DB for it, and then data mine it for a couple days before I move up.

climber
12-19-2004, 12:21 AM
I read someone commenting on their datamining experiences ealrier and the two things i took from it were as follows.

1--turnover online is really high--the data needs to be used shortly after its collected otherwise the palyers are no longer around. Therefore collecting 15/30 data for my move up in 1/2 years may not be super useful.

2--most people play at regular times--after work weekends etc. It doesn't make a lot of sense to collect massive amounts of data on the people who paly regularly at times you never play or plan to play. Therefore i don't leave it running overnight after i go to bed.

I also do the 16-20 tables at a time thing--but really only do it during times when I'd theoretically be playing--if i go out for dinner or a movie or evening meetings that sort of thing--then i leave it running. This makes sense to me and was something I read that I thought I would pass on.

sin808
12-19-2004, 12:27 AM
1- I agree with that to an extent. I think alot of the good players will probably still be there- where else are they gonna go? Not too mention SS players who have moved up.

2- I do pretty much the same. keep it running at the same times I usually play at.

sin808
12-19-2004, 09:08 PM
n/m

Reef
12-19-2004, 10:36 PM
I chose all that I can because I play about 8 or so different types of games for various reasons: .50, $1, $2, NL .50, and various sng's.