PDA

View Full Version : Is this bubble play too aggressive?

Vetstadium
12-18-2004, 11:46 PM
At a party $33, I have 6000 chips rest about same amount 700 each blinds 100-200 I am small blind with 10 4 and these have been playing just to make it to money. It is folded to me and I put Big Blind all in(yeah I know a bit bullyish) he has aces doubles up and my doubling him up enabled him to take first I finish second.

bigredlemon
12-18-2004, 11:57 PM
Why go all in? Raise it 250 if you must. It only puts 350 of your chips at risk, so you're forcing him to go all in or fold for half the price.

Vetstadium
12-19-2004, 12:32 AM
If I raise and he comes back at me all in I am pot odds committed to call and still have chance to knock him out. The way they were playing they were scared to get knocked out.

bigredlemon
12-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Because not doubling them up is more important than increasing your stack.

If you fold, he'll have just 1000 chips to show for a good hand. He still doesn't have enough chips to bully around the other small stacks. If he takes out another small stack, you are still bigger than him by enough to bully him.

You've only put in 350 so far. It's 350 more to win a 1400 pot, which is great pot odds. You're at best a 3-1 underdog, which makes a call +250 chips EV. You can easily steal that in a few hands. Eliminating him is great, but you can find a better time to do it. Showing you ugly hand will also make it harder to steal later on. And if he wins, he'll have enough chips to safely push around the other small stakes, giving you fewer opportunities to blind steal.

Overall, call is -EV given implied odds from stealing blinds, and in addition, is a poor tournament wise, move.

Phoenix1010
12-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Personally, I like this play. Your stack is massive compared to the other players' and they are all playing tight on the bubble. In this situation, it doesn't matter what your cards are because your opponent is only going to call with the very top hands. 9 out of 10 times, you add 300 to your stack here. Very seldom, he will have a big hand and come after you, but that will still leave you with a massive chip lead. Speaking of which, I wouldn't say that his double up here is what enabled him to beat you. It's likely someone was going to double up sooner or later... it's up to you to use your stack to win heads up. If he outplays you or gets lucky to win heads up, that's just a shame, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't have been bullying him when you had him 6 to 1 in chips.

By the way, I don't think raising less than all-in is a good play here. If you raise half his stack and he pushes all-in over the top, you have 3 to 1 odds to call so it's all going in anyway. I find that pushing all 6000 in sometimes has the effect of scaring people off as well.

Regards, Steve

betgo
12-19-2004, 01:11 AM
It's borderline whether I make this play even if I am not big stack on the bubble. You have pot odds and folding equity. Just bad luck you ran into aces.

raptor517
12-19-2004, 05:53 AM
this is an auto all in. he will call you with only top tier hands. u steal the blinds 90% of the time. he is on the bubble, every1 is short stacked, no reason to raise small, make it hard for him to call, bet all, u run into aces, u get beat. this is auto steal, every single time.

Vetstadium
12-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the tips and once in awhile my rags autosteal will knock out those big hands lol