PDA

View Full Version : Underrated/Unnoticed Current TV Shows

Tablerat
12-18-2004, 10:29 PM
I’m only going for current shows/programs, something to fill the gaps when all the great Winter sports games aren’t on:

1. My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss (Fox, Sunday night) – For all the media coverage The Apprentice gets, its spoof is both well acted and very funny. I don’t know or care whether the contestants are actors or in on the joke – it’s a damn funny show. Plus, hot chicks in tight outfits. Unfortunately, in typical Fox fashion, its regular airing has been sporadic and probably won’t air again till January.

2. Cheaters (Syndicated/WB Network, Saturday late night) – A simultaneously entertaining and depressing show about an investigative team ratting out “straying lovers.” Over the top reality drama at its finest. A bad time slot hurts its viewership.

3. Boiling Points (MTV, every couple hours) – This hidden camera show (season 2) of improv actors severely testing the patience of people in a variety of settings is on all the time, but doesn’t get enough credit. A couple of the actors and the intense verbal altercations they create make it entirely worthwhile. It’s MTV’s co-best show, along with True Life.

Honorable mention to Court TV’s Masterminds, Food Network’s Unwrapped, and last but definitely not least, I have to throw in FSN/CSTV Women’s College Volleyball – God bless those cameramen.

Check your local listings. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 06:14 AM
Boiling Points is unbearable.

MarkL444
12-20-2004, 06:15 AM
wow. boiling points is [censored]. mtv is good for cribs and nothing else. at all.

thatpfunk
12-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Date my Mom might be one of the worst shows ever, but watching the guys face when he pics a fat chick and two hot chicks get out that he passed over is great.

Also, Road Rules vs. Real World is very funny.

MTV has many redeaming characterisitics, but none are intentional.

WillMagic
12-20-2004, 07:32 AM
It just ended....but the Wire might be the best show on television, and no one watches it.

That or Boston Legal which is just consistently hilarious.

Will

Popinjay
12-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Wanna Come In on MTV is hilarious. Streetball on ESPN is a great show that not enough people watch.

Tablerat
12-20-2004, 08:09 AM
But .... but ... women's college volleyball? C'mon now.

Jesus, this thread was revived from the dead, I didn't realize people dig up threads from page 7, and I don't have the cajones as a stranger to bump in OOT. Thanks though! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I agree, the endings of "date my mom" are good, but I don't like the show overall. I'm sticking to BP though - the fat guy and dark haired dude with the moustache are funny as hell.

Never seen either The Wire or Boston Legal, thanks for the recs.

bdk3clash
12-20-2004, 09:11 AM
I second the vote for "The Wire." I think it's easily the best show on TV.

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" wins for hardest-to-describe-to-peole-that-don't-watch-it.

PhatTBoll
12-20-2004, 10:20 AM
If you haven't seen Deadwood on HBO, give it a shot. It's not for everybody, but it's one of my favorite shows.

IndieMatty
12-20-2004, 10:24 AM
I think King Of Queens is one of the most brilliant sitcoms ever. You have to give it a chance..but it's well worth it.

WDC
12-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Let's not forget Pimp my Ride. I am curiously drawn to that one and I don't even know how to change my own oil.

WEASEL45
12-20-2004, 03:21 PM
I dont know if people watch it, but Scrubs is probably the funniest show on TV right now

Dangergirl
12-21-2004, 12:44 PM
Cheaters is definitely one of the funniest shows there is. I love the confrontations when the cheaters are caught in the act. The host of the show even got stabbed once during one of these confrontations. Definitely good TV /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Uston
12-21-2004, 01:07 PM
"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" wins for hardest-to-describe-to-peole-that-don't-watch-it.

It's about the adventures of a milkshake, a meatball, and a box of french fries. What's so hard about that? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sponger15SB
12-21-2004, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boiling Points is unbearable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [censored] hate that show! Not only is it incredibly stupid, but I'd blow a fuse about 3 seconds into it if I was actually on the show. Seriously they must know they are on a hidden camera show or something.

hate hate hate

The Yugoslavian
12-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised no one else mentioned Pimp My Ride. The show is not only very well done but X is HILARIOUS! It just shows that rappers don't always have to say 'know what I'm sayin'" every other phrase, and can have a very intelligent andn witty (although who knows how much of X's humor is done by writers) sense of humor. He comes off as very authentic and a generally good guy while still maintaining his street cred -- that feat in and of itself is pretty amazing I think.

Hell, my *mom* likes the show! (Although she doesn't agree with using the term 'Pimp' in the title, eh, go figure).

Yugoslav

thatpfunk
12-21-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It just shows that rappers don't always have to say 'know what I'm sayin'" every other phrase, and can have a very intelligent andn witty (although who knows how much of X's humor is done by writers) sense of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I laugh at Xzibit, not with him. I have never considered him intelligent or anything on that show witty. I could go on for hours about pimp my ride.

JPinAZ
12-21-2004, 07:50 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Arrested Development. This is by far the funniest & most intelligent show on TV. Even an off episode is funnier than 90% of other shows.

gaming_mouse
12-21-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe no one has mentioned Arrested Development. This is by far the funniest & most intelligent show on TV. Even an off episode is funnier than 90% of other shows.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.