PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deal with this?

deadmunny
12-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Dear All,

How do you deal with an Ultra tight player? follow me here:

Partypoker $2/$4.

Players have AK .... no raise pre-flop
K or A flops....... no bet
Turn......no bet or just calls
River....no bet or just calls

This happened at 2 seperate tables/different players.... Is this a new trend?

One of these same players was BB with J /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and rivered a flush and just called the bet to him! no paired board it was an easy raise bet....trust me.

Do I now tighten up even more? play looser?

Regards D

billyjex
12-18-2004, 10:34 PM
Be glad they're not getting costing you more money.

Last night, I got called HU on the river by someone who had the absolute NUTS. I couldn't believe it.

jason_t
12-18-2004, 10:40 PM
I think just play your usual game. They are saving you money. I've recently seen a lot of people just call down with a set or not raise on the end with the nuts. Now if they get really aggressive on you in a hand, they probably have you crushed.

Bob T.
12-18-2004, 10:42 PM
You can loosen up a little bit with suited connectors and suited aces, because you probably can get in cheap with them, and may also be able to draw cheaply. But at the same time, you probably aren't going to be able to checkraise any rivers, so you have to expect that you will only win one bet on the river if you get there.

joedot
12-18-2004, 10:42 PM
There seeems to be a lot of this going around lately from what I've observed. They let all the aggressive players, which is almost everybody nowadays keep betting themselves into a hole, and then usually take the pot down when they flip up an ace better kicker, or an overpair to the board that they limped with. Sounds like the guy in your example was just a passive and wasn't doing this as any type of strategy though. Perhaps he's been running bad lately and losing with a lot of 2nd and 3rd best flushes. As far as how to deal with ultratight, I say make a note who they are, and don't make as many thin value bets on them. If you bluff at them on the flop, and they call, then slow down or shut down. If you have a hand you believe is best, I say to bet it. I have always believed that if you feel you are best, you should put the money out. Have to trust yourself there. Just use a little discretion I suppose.

deadmunny
12-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks all,

I did just that (made a note) and warned myself to be careful.

Regards D