PDA

View Full Version : Trips in the big blind

Chris Daddy Cool
12-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Bay 101 20/40 hand, decent table, features same aggressive MP from my Q9 straight hand.

UTG calls. UTG+1 calls. Aggressive MP raises. SB calls. I call with T /images/graemlins/spade.gif2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG and UTG+1 call.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Checked to the MP who bets. I'm the only caller. Heads up.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check. MP bets. I raise. MP calls.

River: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

I check.

bisonbison
12-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I likey. How many bets would you go?

spamuell
12-18-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure.

If you bet and he raises with a K, he won't fold to a 3-bet right?

Luv2DriveTT
12-18-2004, 11:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. Fantastic play, your my daily hero. I assume villain is smart enough to put you on a flush draw after your turn raise and river check?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

James282
12-19-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it. Fantastic play, your my daily hero. I assume villain is smart enough to put you on a flush draw after your turn raise and river check?

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villain puts him on a flush draw, he won't bet. I think the king is an okay card for this sort of play, but I would have vastly preferred an ace. I just think he is checking behind ace high and pocket pairs here always, so I would probably just bet. But live play allows for plays like this much more because of all of the wonderful intangibles.
-James

Luv2DriveTT
12-19-2004, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If Villain puts him on a flush draw, he won't bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see your logic here, since the flush draw (that did not exist) was not completed. CDC is trying to induce a bet on the river. It's brilliant. Please explain...

SCfuji
12-19-2004, 01:07 AM
gutsy! way to feign weakness. hope it was profitable.

chesspain
12-19-2004, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see your logic here, since the flush draw (that did not exist) was not completed. CDC is trying to induce a bet on the river. It's brilliant. Please explain...

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villian thinks that CDC's checkraise means either a flush draw or trips, then he would have little reason to bet this river and expose himself to another checkraise...especially if he has a pocket pair which isn't aces.

Consequently, I would just bet this river, accepting the safe one BB profit from his inevitable call, and hope that Villian thinks I was checkraising the turn with my own PP (rather than trips or a draw) and decides to now raise with his rivered Kx pair.

sthief09
12-19-2004, 01:24 AM
I thought your standard line was to bet out here...

is he loose? would he call here with A-high? if not, it's ok I guess. if he has a clue, he'll be putting you on AJ. would he have 3-bet the turn with an overpair.

sthief09
12-19-2004, 01:25 AM
betting at someone who was either bluffing or has a big hand makes absolutely no sense

Glurfle
12-19-2004, 01:46 AM
I like the river check a lot. Not so big on the turn. I almost checked behind on the turn thinking "check with outs when getting checkraised would suck", but I was kind of in overdrive against you tight guys over at your end of the table. I checked behind on the river because I wasn't sure if you'd actually call with a J there, and I wasn't entirely sure that I could lay down to a check-raise.

James282
12-19-2004, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey TT, I'll explain where I'm coming from. Let's switch shoes with the villain. Let's say the turn check-raise comes in and the villain doesn't have much of a hand, let's say AT or AK, but being a good player(and knowing CDC is a good player) he thinks that an appropriate percentage of the time CDC will make this play at him with a flush draw. He wants to snap off CDC's bluff and he calls. Now the river comes a K that does not complete any draws. CDC checks to him. If our villain has AT or AQ, he will never bet here. Why? Because CDC had a flush draw, and will not pay him off with a busted flush draw. On the other hand, let's assume the villain puts CDC on a flush draw, trips, a pair of jacks, or a PP smaller than jacks. He now rivers an overpair to the board. CDC now checks, and the villain thinks, "sucker, just rivered you buddy!" and value-bets his King because he has now narrowed his read down to a pair of jacks or a PP smaller than jacks. Now CDC raises again and the villain is virtually forced to pay off. This is what CDC is hoping for here. The brilliance in this play comes from the fact that his opponent may have improved and is good enough to value bet what might have previously appeared to be marginal holdings until the river action. No good player I know would bet the river if he read his opponent for a busted flush draw, because the bet would thus be pointless. Hope this helps.
-James

Chris Daddy Cool
12-26-2004, 11:04 AM
I check. He checks behind with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

given that he was easily the most aggressive player at the table, i thought he'd value bet the river for sure or at least bluff at it if he missed.

my turn checkraise obviously means either a jack or a deuce. i was hoping he'd give me more credit for a jack than a duece since i've been playing very tight and hadn't defended my blind at all. either way, i felt that he had an AK'ish type hand or picked up a redraw of some sort when the second diamond popped up. in my mind i was thinking A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

i felt the river check was beautifully set up, representing the jack afraid of AK, alas, he didn't bite though.

Schizo
12-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Why would you check the flop? The flop was 22J. One of the most common errors people make with low pairing board like this is going to be calling with overcards. Since you are going to be betting with any pocket pair, any jack, and any flush draw it is best to bet out when you have low trips and let them figure it out when you have it and when you don't. Also, since you had a free ride in the big blind, your betting out is going to be a textbook bluff and they will be more likely to call anyway.

If the flop came TT3, then you would check and hope someone catches a hand because most people are not going to have 2 overcards.

Or am I completely off base?