PDA

View Full Version : I dazzle them. (Tommy post)

Chris Daddy Cool
12-18-2004, 09:36 PM
Bay 101 20/40 game late last night

table goes through spurts of looseness and tightness and this is one of the tight cycles.

a decent player openlimps in LP and I raise on the button with KJo. a decent but unspectacular player calls in the big blind and the LP guy 3-bets and I insta-fold.

They gasp. They point. They laugh. I shrug.

heads up this is a no-brainer to me, but how terrible is it with the 3rd player in?

Rico Suave
12-18-2004, 10:02 PM
CDC:

[ QUOTE ]
heads up this is a no-brainer to me, but how terrible is it with the 3rd player in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be wrong, but, odds aside, I would be more likely to call HU. With the 3rd player in, his limp 3-bet probably is the real deal....kind of like a protected pot....kinda sorta. Does that make any sense?

--Rico

Bob T.
12-18-2004, 11:07 PM

I wouldn't do it headsup, but with the third player in, regardless of the odds, it seems like you might really be in trouble.

Luv2DriveTT
12-18-2004, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how terrible is it with the 3rd player in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell us about the LP player, against a steaming fool, I don't. Against a calling station, fold and run away from the rtable, cause he has got a megaton bomb in his pocket.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Glurfle
12-19-2004, 01:26 AM
That was you? Sometime past midnight, in the 3 seat, or thereabouts?

Wow, you look nothing like your avatar.

James282
12-19-2004, 01:32 AM
You dazzle me by generally being such a good player and occasionally making such bad plays on purpose. I would never fold this heads up, or three handed. Mostly because I remember that I'm only really 6:1 against if he has aces, which is his most likely holding, not too far behind Queens, and crushed by kings, but they seem unlikely since you have a king. 6 to one against and you fold getting 6.5 to 1 with virtually guaranteed implied odds if you hit 2 pair, a straight, or trips, and the fact that your opponents cards are virtually face up(if this is the type of opponent you can fold against, you can almost put him squarely on aces), this fold is just awful. Now with the BB in the picture, you are getting 8.5:1. Just call.
-James

James282
12-19-2004, 01:37 AM
As an aside, I have a hand I played on thursday that might prove this incorrect. I open limped A7s UTG in a game that featured 2 bad players to my left, 5 2+2ers, and an awful player in the BB. It's folded to DrGutshot on the button who raises. One of the worst players I've ever met calls in the BB and I limp-reraise to purposely misrepresent my hand. The flop is all rags and I get DrGutshot out with 1 bet. The fish calls and folds the river, but the 2+2ers made me show so I did. I'm not saying that plays like this are typical, but if players think they can control you postflop they are more apt to make them against you especially with the guise of it being a protected pot by having a bad player involved. If you are raising and folding to a three-bet, you will invite these sorts of plays to come at you in the future, and since you are routinely folding in this spot, they will be coming early and often. Just fold the flop for one bet if you miss a monster. It's a lot cheaper than folding for 1 bet preflop.
-James

sthief09
12-19-2004, 01:40 AM
I don't think many people limp-reraises with AA from MP. it just seems unnatural. I'd expect this to a a donk play most of the time. if you're sure he has AA or KK then you fold

uw_madtown
12-19-2004, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You dazzle me by generally being such a good player and occasionally making such bad plays on purpose. I would never fold this heads up, or three handed. Mostly because I remember that I'm only really 6:1 against if he has aces, which is his most likely holding, not too far behind Queens, and crushed by kings, but they seem unlikely since you have a king. 6 to one against and you fold getting 6.5 to 1 with virtually guaranteed implied odds if you hit 2 pair, a straight, or trips, and the fact that your opponents cards are virtually face up(if this is the type of opponent you can fold against, you can almost put him squarely on aces), this fold is just awful. Now with the BB in the picture, you are getting 8.5:1. Just call.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

What James said. I'm not the most experienced player but this seems like a no brainer call and check/fold if you miss the flop. Yeah, you're probably against AA, maybe KK or AKs. I just don't see how you fold here, especially considering the implied odds if you hit trips/straight/two pair on the flop. This is the preflop equivalent of a crying call. Gotta make it, not happy about it.