PDA

View Full Version : A's trade Mark Mulder to the Cardinals

Dynasty
12-18-2004, 08:44 PM
ESPN story link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1949157)

The A's traded Mark Mulder to the Cardinals in exchange for pitchers Danny Haren and Kiko Calero, and catcher Daric Barton.

This is a big surprise to me. It appears the A's are in complete rebuilding mode and aren't giving serious consideration to contending in the AL West this season. Mulder's trade comes just days after Tim Hudson was dealt to the Braves. The A's are trading away the core of the team that won several division titles bet kept losing in heartbreaking style in the ALDS.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I'll defer but I did beat you.

I didn't see this coming at all. One has to wonder if Zito is next?

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Walt Jocketty.

First he holds the line and doesn't hamstring his flexibility by signing Edgar for $10mm per. Then he gets Mulder for less than Beane asked for Hudson, and Mulder still has 2 years left at about $6.8mm per year. Young lefty. Good deal, provided he is healthy. Rumored back problems last year and he had an ERA over 6 the 2nd half of last year. That's cause for concern, but still a risk worth taking I think.

Joe Tall
12-18-2004, 08:49 PM
It appears the A's are in complete rebuilding mode and aren't giving serious consideration to contending in the AL West this season

Rebuilding what? A team that loves to dissapoint?

What a pick up for the Cards, just what the needed.

Peace,
Joe Tall

ThaSaltCracka
12-18-2004, 08:50 PM
wow, the M's chances next year keep getting better.

amazing pickup for STL.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 08:51 PM
With the Astros losing Kent and possibly Clemens & Beltran the Cardinals appear to be the clear favorite in the NL, followed by the braves.

Dynasty
12-18-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll defer but I did beat you.

I didn't see this coming at all. One has to wonder if Zito is next?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see your thread until mine was already posted.

The safe assumption is that Zito will eventually be traded. Zito was a erratic last year in a dissapointing season. So, Beane may not be able to get value for him unless he stays with the A's to start the 2005 season and the rades him mid-season.

Remember, the A's also traded their #4 starter Mark Redman. So, it's a total overhaul of their pitching staff.

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With the Astros losing Kent and possibly Clemens & Beltran the Cardinals appear to be the clear favorite in the NL, followed by the braves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm biased, and the offseason is far from over, but I thought that even if all we did was lose Edgar, Womack, Matheny and Woody that we still had enough to win 92-94 games, which IMO is enough in the Central.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The safe assumption is that Zito will eventually be traded. Zito was a erratic last year in a dissapointing season. So, Beane may not be able to get value for him unless he stays with the A's to start the 2005 season and the rades him mid-season.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Redsox would seem to be a good fit.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Who is suppossed to take the place of renteria? Do they know yet?

ThaSaltCracka
12-18-2004, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the M's /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

craig r
12-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Isn't there pitching roster set now?

craig

Joe Tall
12-18-2004, 08:56 PM

With the signing of Renteria and Clement, Theo's wallet may be tapped out.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't possibly see how. Winning a World Series requires 2 front line starters these days. By my count they have 1.

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 08:57 PM
No. Rumor is sign Larkin for the min, let young Luna play the 40 or so games a year that Larkin is unavailable and gain experience. Lots of rumors for second, ranging from Polanco to Hairston.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

With the signing of Renteria and Clement, Theo's wallet may be tapped out.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, good point. Perhaps mid-season though.

craig r
12-18-2004, 09:00 PM
Schilling and Wells? I can't see how they are not #1 and #2 respectively in the rotation.(and yes, I know schilling might not be able to pitch for the first month).

craig

Zeno
12-18-2004, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wow, the M's chances next year keep getting better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good News I agree. At least the M's have a good chance to win the AL West. But it is early. Very early. And the front office still has a lot of time to bungle things up. Still we will probably have a better year than the last one but that is not saying too much.

The Cardinal team looks like a heavyweight. Now, if they can just find a manager...... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 09:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Schilling and Wells? I can't see how they are not #1 and #2 respectively in the rotation.(and yes, I know schilling might not be able to pitch for the first month).

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

If Wells is considered their #2 starter than I have little to worry about next season.

Dynasty
12-18-2004, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The current Red Sox rotation is Schilling (possibly out April), Wells, Clement, Wakefield, and Arroyo.

I could see the Sox adding a top starter like Zito and putting either Wakefield or Arroyo in the bullpen when everybody is healthy. The signing of Edgar Renteria means SS prospect Hanley Ramirez is possible trade bait. So, the Sox have what it takes to get Zito.

Zito is signed for two more years.

craig r
12-18-2004, 09:07 PM
I don't know why. If the Yankees don't get Johnson they are in pretty bad shape IMO. In fact, why wouldn't NYY go after Zito? We all know they can afford it..supposedely they would pay for Johnson and Beltran.

craig

edit: Nevermind. It looks like, according to MLB, that Johnson will end up in NY.

ThaSaltCracka
12-18-2004, 09:09 PM
yeah, the west is now wide open. I was hoping the M's were gonna try and get Clement, but, thats not going to happen.

I still expect the M's to make a trade before the season starts.

Tablerat
12-18-2004, 09:11 PM
As an A's fan, the only starter I wouldn't mind dumping would be Zito; now they've scrapped one of the best 1-2 punches in baseball? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I respect Beane, but this is too much and it was the A's middle relief and closer that needed the overhaul in terms of pitching. Cards will win 110 games next year easy.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why. If the Yankees don't get Johnson they are in pretty bad shape IMO. In fact, why wouldn't NYY go after Zito? We all know they can afford it..supposedely they would pay for Johnson and Beltran.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Johnson will be in pin stripes. This isn't Boston and the deal would be in the public if it wasn't a lock.

I highly doubt Beltran signs. Although he would certainly be welcome. The biggest Q is at first and DH. Most think Giambi is finished.

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 09:15 PM
"Cards will win 110 games next year easy. "

I doubt it. Mulder has his health concerns. Carpenter has concerns. Morris will be coming off surgery. Ankiel will be put in a sink or swim situation. Marquis and Suppan? meh.

Plus we have an old outfield with Edmonds and Walker both likely to miss at least some time. The bullpen is looking much weaker and the bench is paper thin.

Should we still win the division? Probabaly, but 100 games would be a huge success, let alone 110.

ThaSaltCracka
12-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Delgado will be in NY next year.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Cards will win 110 games next year easy. "

I doubt it. Mulder has his health concerns. Carpenter has concerns. Morris will be coming off surgery. Ankiel will be put in a sink or swim situation. Marquis and Suppan? meh.

Plus we have an old outfield with Edmonds and Walker both likely to miss at least some time. The bullpen is looking much weaker and the bench is paper thin.

Should we still win the division? Probabaly, but 100 games would be a huge success, let alone 110.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention you play in a stacked division. I would say 90-95 wins.

bugstud
12-18-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm biased, and the offseason is far from over, but I thought that even if all we did was lose Edgar, Womack, Matheny and Woody that we still had enough to win 92-94 games, which IMO is enough in the Central.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think with a healthy Prior the Cubs can get that many wins, too...

Good pickup for the Cards, Barton looks like the dealmaker on this one. Suprised that Ankiel wasn't traded in the deal as well.

craig r
12-18-2004, 09:20 PM
Is there still a chance he could end up in SEA? I think he is a horrible fit for NY.

craig

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 09:21 PM
The Cubs need to score more than 2 runs a game before they can even dream of winning 90. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there still a chance he could end up in SEA? I think he is a horrible fit for NY.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure that? He could DH or play first and bat in between AROD, Sheffield and Matsui. Seems like a great fit.

bugstud
12-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Meh, trade away Dr. Cork and sign Mags and things will be fine.

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Meh, trade away Dr. Cork

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier said than done with that goofy 1 year extension clause in his contract.

ThaSaltCracka
12-18-2004, 09:26 PM
doubtful, it would cost to much, but you never know.

Delgado would be a great fit in NY.

bugstud
12-18-2004, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Meh, trade away Dr. Cork

[/ QUOTE ]

Easier said than done with that goofy 1 year extension clause in his contract.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're willing to waive it, whether or not the union lets them is yet to be seen. I'm hoping we get better than what's been runmored, though. Julio and Gibbons make me retch.

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 09:33 PM
Well, if you can dump him without paying salary, you'd do it for free. Come to think of it, they should give him the Ramirez treatment and put him on waivers. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dumping Sammy and signing Beltran would be pretty sweet for the Cubs.

craig r
12-18-2004, 09:57 PM
It is the little things. He refused to stand for God Bless America. The fans in NYY really booed him bad...worse than any other place. I think to be on George's team you need to be able to obey orders and shave that face.

craig

GuyOnTilt
12-18-2004, 10:55 PM

1) Losing Kent does absolutely nothing to hurt us. The reason we didn't sign Kent to more than a 1-yr deal is because we have an AWESOME young kid playing Triple-A in Chris Burke. He'll almost certainly be our 2B in 2005.

2) If Beltran comes back (which is looking more likely than any other particular team [Chicago or New York] signing him right now, though still not probable), Clemens will most likely return as well. If Clemens doesn't though, we'll still have two aces in Petite and Oswalt. Having three sure be nice, but it's certainly not necessary to win our division. Either way though, Alou's coming to town.

GoT

ThaSaltCracka
12-18-2004, 11:19 PM
Petite and Oswalt are not aces.

tj00
12-19-2004, 12:21 AM
You sir are mistaken.

A biased Astros fan.

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You sir are mistaken.

A biased Astros fan.

[/ QUOTE ]Please explain to me how the 2005 Petite and Oswalt are both going to be aces.

Non_Comformist
12-19-2004, 12:29 AM
You're a Yankee fan and you don't consider Petite an ace? Or do you just mean that other dude?

And are you a Yankee fan still? Or Mariner? Both?

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Petite was an ace like 3-4 years ago.

Joe Tall
12-19-2004, 12:31 AM
And are you a Yankee fan still? Or Mariner? Both?

Cracker's Ms stunk so he decided to become a Yankee fan. He's a heartless, weak individual, like most poser-Yankee fans. He might be a Sox fan now that they have won, I have yet to ask.

Peace,
Joe Tall

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 12:35 AM
I hate you Joe.

I like the M's still, always will. They are my favorite team, and will be forever. I also still like the Yankees. I hate the Red Sox though.

Joe Tall
12-19-2004, 12:37 AM
I hate you Joe

Truth hurts, eh? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love,
Joe Tall

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate you Joe

Truth hurts, eh? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, really, how could I hate you?

tj00
12-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Pettitte is going to be a question mark comming off surgery. Oswalt is a bona fide ace though.

Oswalt 2004 Stats
20W-10L 206 K 3.49 ERA 237 IP

His career stats are better. He should put up similar number in 2005. How many pitchers do you think put up numbers like this? What pitchers in the NL do you rank above him. I have seen him pitch his stuff is electric.

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 01:03 AM
I am mistaken about Oswalt, my bad.

Petite though is another story entirely.

Dynasty
12-19-2004, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The New York Post is reporting that the Red Sox are planning to trade Kevin Millar and Doug Mientkiewicz so that the Sox can sign Delgado.

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The New York Post is reporting that the Red Sox are planning to trade Kevin Millar and Doug Mientkiewicz so that the Sox can sign Delgado.

[/ QUOTE ]wow, that would be surprising. very interesting the cold war in the east.

nothumb
12-19-2004, 05:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Marquis and Suppan? meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, they won't have to face the Red Sox until the Series... /images/graemlins/grin.gif Who needs a plus pitch in the NL anyway??? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

NT

Jim Kuhn
12-19-2004, 06:45 AM
The Cardinals have alot of questions regarding their starting pitching. Mulder certainly is questionable after the second half of 2004. We have no shortstop nor second baseman. Walt's work is certainly not done.

With our old outfield it is good that we resigned John Mabry. Larry Walker is 38, Reggie Sanders is 37 and Jim Edmonds is 34. Mabry should play alot in the outfield and also spell Albert Pujols at first.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

ThaSaltCracka
12-19-2004, 06:45 AM
it was a good trade though, should help out that rotation, a lot.