PDA

View Full Version : Is Royal Vegas "100k Freeroll" really a Freeroll?

Synergistic Explosions
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
RV is calling its 100k Freeroll the biggest Freeroll ever. However, since they are offering $ rebuys and add ons for the first 1.5 hours, is this really a free roll?

phixxx
12-18-2004, 06:11 PM
It's free to play in, therefore it's a freeroll.

Synergistic Explosions
12-18-2004, 06:19 PM
But once you take an add on or rebuy, then it becomes not a free roll, since you would have paid $ and it then becomes not 'FREE'.

Spicymoose
12-18-2004, 06:22 PM
By your logic even parks are not free, since you could decide to pay $3 for some icecream while there.

phixxx
12-18-2004, 06:29 PM
You have a choice to rebuy, you don't HAVE to. Not being required to pay anything is free. The icecream example serves this point.

Synergistic Explosions
12-18-2004, 06:34 PM
I think tournaments like this shouldn't be called Freerolls is all. Calling it a Free-entry tournament is fine. But when you have to pay for rebuys or add ons to have an even chance of winning, it's not really a freeroll at all.

IggyWH
12-18-2004, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But when you have to pay for rebuys or add ons to have an even chance of winning, it's not really a freeroll at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't HAVE to pay for anything and you don't need to to have an even chance of winning.

<see park example again>

Synergistic Explosions
12-18-2004, 06:46 PM
You don't have to wake up in the morning either, but you probably will.

You don't think by definition a free roll should be 'free' to all? With all having the same chances of winning? I do.

This is more like a 100k guaranteed tourney with no entry fee with add ons and rebuys allowed. It really isn't a free roll in my opinion. But it's a great tournament to offer, no doubt about it.

Sponger15SB
12-18-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you've convinced me /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Stew
12-19-2004, 11:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You don't think by definition a free roll should be 'free' to all? With all having the same chances of winning? I do.

This is more like a 100k guaranteed tourney with no entry fee with add ons and rebuys allowed. It really isn't a free roll in my opinion. But it's a great tournament to offer, no doubt about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a freeroll for christ sake, get over it already.

Equal
12-19-2004, 11:10 AM
What if a site offered a $1,000,000 Freeroll?

You start with 1,000 chips, but if you want, you can take 1 IMMEDIATE rebuy of 100,000 chips for $1,000 during the very first hand. Would this also count as a freeroll?

Stew
12-19-2004, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What if a site offered a $1,000,000 Freeroll?

You start with 1,000 chips, but if you want, you can take 1 IMMEDIATE rebuy of 100,000 chips for $1,000 during the very first hand. Would this also count as a freeroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's free to play, you don't have to pay anything if you don't want to, thus it's a free roll, end of story.

Rudbaeck
12-19-2004, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But when you have to pay for rebuys or add ons to have an even chance of winning, it's not really a freeroll at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't HAVE to pay for anything and you don't need to to have an even chance of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cripple yourself by not taking the add-on.

jtr
12-19-2004, 12:47 PM
So it should be called a "Freeroll with optional non-crippling rebuys for real cash." Would that make you happy?

You can see why the marketing guys might not approve, however.

Jurollo
12-19-2004, 02:06 PM
File this in the... "who the F cares section" ... it's all semantics, but I agree it is a Freeroll... and yes you do HAVE to wake up in the morning, awakening from sleep isn't an option.
~Justin

CountDuckula
12-19-2004, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
File this in the... "who the F cares section" ... it's all semantics, but I agree it is a Freeroll...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You might "cripple" yourself by not taking the add-on, but you don't have to, and you might do well enough early on to make the add-on irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]
and yes you do HAVE to wake up in the morning, awakening from sleep isn't an option.
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is. Lots of people pass away in their sleep (that's basically the way I hope to go when my time comes). /images/graemlins/grin.gif It may or may not be voluntary, but it does happen.

-Mike

Jurollo
12-19-2004, 06:27 PM
I was going to include that duckula, but you said it at the end, dying isnt voluntary.
~Justin

CountDuckula
12-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Well, dying can be voluntary. You can't choose not to die, unless you know something is likely to happen and take effective measures to avert it; but, not to be too morbid about it, you can choose to die.

-Mike

Poker Jet
12-28-2004, 01:26 AM
Actually Ill ask the real Q as to whether this is REALLY a freeroll or not when u have to put in X # of hands to get in, so NO UR NOT GETTING IN WITH PAYING NOTHING... Still a freeroll?

emonrad87
12-28-2004, 01:33 AM
http://img80.exs.cx/img80/1331/batmanrobinthreadsucks8qf.jpg