PDA

View Full Version : Making adjustments due to house rules

01-27-2002, 07:58 PM
I have kept this to myself for a long time b/c it is so ridiculous, but here we go. I play a home game w/ an average of 8 players including myself. Hold'em. Here are the particulars:

$1 ante, average stack size $40.

$10 max bet.

No check-raises.

All flushes equal (Ace high does not beat J high).

Wrap around straights.

OK, what do you play in Early Position vs Late Position assuming somebody bets $1 pre-flop?

Here are specific scenarios:

1a) Button- 72o; $1 to call (no chance of reraise)

1b) 1st position- 86o; $1 to call (no chance of reraise)

1c) Mid position- TT; $1 to call (no chance of reraise)

2) Would you ever raise $10 preflop w/ anything beyond AA or KK?

Sorry for multiple questions, but the 1st one pretty much is just meant to help with the idea of how to handle this high-ante, no check-raise game.

Mojay

01-27-2002, 10:01 PM
A few questions ojay. Max bet $10, average stack size $40? Is it table stakes? Can you dip into your pocket for more money during a hand? I'm presuming this game is very tight and passive with not many max raises. If so it seems tailor made to try stealing the blinds. A lot. If it is tight/passive, you could loosen up your starting requirements considerably. Even if called it sounds like it would only cost you a $10 bet on the flop to find out if your opponent has a hand or not.

I wouldn't play scenario 1a, fold. In the next two scenarios, why do you say no chance of a reraise? I'm a bit confused on 1b. Are there blinds in this game as well. Who bet the $1 to the guy in first position? Does first position mean the dealer? Grateful if you'd clarify.

Scenario 1c. Again, will everybody run away if you bet $10? If the game is tight/passive I'd love to have one caller with TT, especially if I had been getting away with stealing blinds a lot. And it's fine if they all fold too. Bet $10.

01-28-2002, 12:03 PM
the betting structure is cool, and so is the wrap straight, more things a good player can take advantage of.

is an ace only a high card or is it high and low?

i despise the flush rules and the check-raise rules.

what about if someone bets into me, i call, and a player behind me raises, can i then reraise? before or after the flop?

does the dealer button rotate?

Adjustments to be made:

Calling of pre-flop bets-

If there is no chance of a raise behind you, and you have to call $1 you are getting odds of between 9:1 and 15:1. You can play almost any two cards. plus you can bet $10 post-flop to protect your good but vulnerable hands and offer your opponents insufficient odds to draw.

WHat happends if you raise to $11 pre-flop?

Does everyone fold? Does everyone call?

Hands I would consider raising pre-flop with depending on players reactions to raises:

A2,A3, A4, AK,AQ,AQ,AJ,AT,KQ,KJ,KT,K2,K3

AA-22.

TJ,QJ,9T are nearly unplayable in this game if i understand hand rankings correctly. they make lower straights and flushes suck, so into the muck they go.

i dont think i would play anything but pairs, and hands with an A or K that has reach to make a straight for more than a minimum bet.

Whats a higher straight,

QKA23

or

TJQKA???

i would ignore suits except for calling bets when i know im beat with my made hand but have outs to split or scoop w/my flush. i would never draw to a flush without a made hand i thought was best, or another strong draw to go with the flush draw.

thats all i can come up with.

01-28-2002, 04:29 PM
Ace plays both high and low. So, A2345 is a 5-high straight, which is higher than KQA23. But TJQKA is still highest straight.

Game is very loose passive. 7 players will see the flop for $1 or $2 bet. Basically awful players. There is some unpredictable play after the flop, but mostly loose calls. Most are afraid to bet more than $5 without the nuts. I win money every week, 9 out of 10 sessions, but I'm not sure if I am maximizing. Nobody ever raises max except on river (except me).

Raise to $11 preflop gets me 1 or 2 callers max unless everyone has trash. I've only done it twice, and it was deemed fairly rude, but I can probably change that perception by giving them my best "Caro" impersonation. Same deal with $11 bet on the flop btw.

Once you call, you cannot raise later. Example.

You are UTG after $1 ante. No blinds. You look at 65o. You check. All check to cutoff who bets $1. No matter what the button does, you cannot reraise. In this scenario, the button is the only player left who can increase the bet to you beyond $1. If button folds or just calls, there is no chance of reraise. So....if you are on the button, and it is $3 to you, you know it will not be more than $3 to call (for the round) b/c nobody else can raise. BTW...dealer is button. First to act is person left of dealer.

Mojay

01-28-2002, 06:03 PM
I was wrong about straight rankings.

Anyway the betting structure prevents any slowplaying or check-raising. There is less reason to wait until the turn, as betting limits don't double, however the typical draws are 4:1 dogs on the turn so it will pay to blast 'em with a max raise in small pots.

Before the flop I would play mostly connecting hands, 56-KA, broadway cards, and pairs. AK becomes a very strong hand in this game. I would also play the pairs. In family pots I would throw in a small raise with the small pairs.

Suitedness is now only an afterthought. Use it as a back door after your made hands get drawn out on.

When there is no fear of a raise you can play almost any two cards.