PDA

View Full Version : Desparate help is needed

limodude
12-18-2004, 05:33 PM
I have been playing for about 4 months now and am in desperate need for help. The first thing I did was read the SSHE book which I felt I grasped quite well. I then read a bit of Doyle's book as well as Hold em for advanced players. I started off playing 2/4 and 3/6 online and was doing quite well. I was up over 500 in a matter of a week or so. I then go to my local card room once a week and had 9 winning weeks in a row averaging about $100 profit/week. Then everything went bad. I dont know what changed but I cant win to save my life. I have lost all the profit plus another 600. I have reread the SSHE twice and I dont know what to do next. What should my expectations be? Should I be playing lower limits? I do have a bankroll that can afford to go down a bit, but I dont want to keep throwing money at something that I am not improving at. So does anyone have advice on what steps I should take to improve? Thank you very much.

bdk3clash
12-18-2004, 05:45 PM
I would suggest you read a more beginner-oriented book ("Winning Low Limit Hold'em" by Lee Jones and "Internet Texas Hold'em" by Matthew Hilger are both excellent.)

Next, I'd play a bunch of hands at whatever stake you're comfortable with, though I would suggest you start quite low (like $0.50/1 on Party.) If you never want to redeposit/replenish your bankroll, keep in mind that most around here would advocate around 300 BBs, or $300 for the $0.50/1 game, and that's if you're a winning player. If you're not, no bankroll is big enough. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you're OK replenishing your bankroll, just play whatever stakes you feel like. That's why some of us have jobs and/or trust funds.

The swings you've mentioned sound pretty normal--winning $500 playing $2/4 and $3/6 online in a week is like 100 bets or so, which really isn't that significant one way or the other. It sounds like you had a pretty good run for a while (9 winning weeks in a row) and then a bit of a downswing.

I think playing a bunch of hands online at the micro-limits is a great way to get experience since you'll get used to certain types of situations. Post hands that seemed interesting or confusing to you (here if they're $2/4 or higher; in the micro stakes forum if they're lower than $2/4) and read and respond to threads here.

scrapperdog
12-18-2004, 06:19 PM
I have a few words of advice. It is very very rare that a player can start winnning right off the bat. I had to redeposit a few times before i became a winning player. There is no substitute for experience, not even reading the books but the books do help. What you have gone through is normal.
The only other thing i can say is to work your way up the limits ... if you are not winning where you are there is no shame in moving down to a limit u can beat until u get the experience and confidence to move up.

blackaces13
12-18-2004, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is very very rare that a player can start winnning right off the bat. I had to redeposit a few times before i became a winning player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. If you do what bdk said and read books like WLLHE or ITH and buy into the .5/1 level wth at least $300 there is no reason why anyone can't win right off the bat. Add to that posting the tough hands you play on the micro forum here and its actually quite easy to beat the low level games immediately and for a good rate IMO.

bisonbison
12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
I disagree. If you do what bdk said and read books like WLLHE or ITH and buy into the .5/1 level wth at least $300 there is no reason why anyone can't win right off the bat.

Right, but most people don't start that way.

I read poker for dummies and thought I could beat party .5/1. It took me about $300 to figure out I had no idea what I was doing.