PDA

View Full Version : Softplaying b/c you run the game?

01-25-2002, 05:11 PM
I run a game and have troubles playing my all out A+ game (aggressive, lots of check-raising) out of fear that I'll drive people off if I start beating their brains in. I also notice that players always call me (they think I'm the best player in teh game) while they fold to somewhat habitual bluffers like my roommate (who's prolly the best holdem player and second best overall player in game).

We play o8 and holdem, dealers choice in case you werer wondering.

Anyone had similar experiences running a game?

01-25-2002, 07:22 PM
At some point, there was a discussion here that you would generally rather have people folding to your bets/raises in holdem. My limited knowledge of O8 is that you make the most money by having your opponents chase your scoop/nut hands and draws. Could it be that you get more callers because you do "better" in O8 and have this occur more frequently? Your friend then gets fewer callers because he's playing "better" holdem?

Am I completely off base here?

01-25-2002, 11:59 PM
they call you because they like you or dont think you play with good cards. but when you run a game you must balance your hard playing with not running off customers. it also depends where you will make the most money, from the game or playing.

01-26-2002, 04:33 PM
I'd test the waters a bit in your case. Turn it up a notch and see what kind of a reaction you're getting from your opponents. Adjust accordingly. Brian

01-28-2002, 02:21 PM
That is a big question. How many players are in your game? Are there others that you can invite if some drop out of the game? What are the people's who are the losing players other interests? Are they hard core gamblers?

With my situation we played once a week, about 5-7 of us. I played my A+ game and never had a losing session. I ran the game dry, and now we play probably once every 6 months.

Basically the people who were losing did not really enjoy gambling/playing cards in the first place (go figure), so when they lost every week, they decided they had better things to do. Like play Everquest all night.

The hardcore gamblers will stay in your game if they lose (as long as they are single, I might add), they geeks who lose and would rather by video games will not stay around. Hopefully you will have more players to chosse from. I would always play the A+ game.

01-29-2002, 03:42 PM
It very well could be that I play better O8 and thus get calls whereas he plays better Holdem and has people fold (picking right times to bet etc). It's probably a combination of that and the fact that he plays more aggressively than I do (people fold out of fear of more bets coming if they call).

My game runs twice a week and I think that I could beat it for more if I played my A+ game the whole time, I'd hate to kill the goose that laid the golden egg(my rake) which gives me a solid chunk every week. A steady rake is much more desireable than a high win rate w/ the swings and higher probability of the game faltering a bit.

Thanks for the input.

01-29-2002, 05:15 PM
if you don't mind me asking, what are your stakes and what is the rake procedure??

thanks

01-29-2002, 08:00 PM
You hold a twice a week game, which you beat them at, and you take a rake. That's awesome!

I wouldn't play my A+ game if I were you. You will eventually get all there money anyway....