PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting 2 Card Guts

01-21-2002, 10:20 PM
Simple game. Everyone antes $1. You get 2 cards. You choose to hold or drop your hand.

If you hold and win, you get the pot.

If you hold and lose, you match the pot.

If you drop, nothing happens****.

Two rule variations we play with. First, if you hold and are the only one holding, you play against a random 2 cards, aka "the dummy". Second, if everyone drops, whoever has the best hand antes another $1. We call it "the coward rule".

I'm killing the normal games against these guys, but I feel like I'm losing money in this game.

Somebody please help me figure out proper strategy. I have been thinking about it, but I'm getting confused. Should I be taking the number of players (let's say /images/glasses.gif, figuring that my hand must be within the top 11% (1/9th--players + dummy) of hands to hold? Or should I be playing tighter/looser? Please give advice.

Mojay

01-21-2002, 10:38 PM
8 = eight

01-22-2002, 08:32 PM
hey, when i played 2 card guts..first man in doubled the pot if he lost,,,gr8 g..it helps if you drink..lol..gl

01-23-2002, 01:44 AM
very tight play always seemed to work for me in guts, in a home game people are willing to gamble it up and build huge pots, simply take them with very strong hands and don't bother with the rest.

01-23-2002, 04:16 PM
I always HATED!!!!!! that game. Seriously, I would only play the stronger hands(medium pairs, AK in late position), and make your money playing poker. In home games you have to keep it friendly and gamble it up a little bit, but with Guts and In Between, you can put a serious dent in your bankroll that is very hard to get back playing more normal poker games.