PDA

View Full Version : Pulling money from your pocket

01-13-2002, 02:05 PM
OK, here it is, I don't like this, let's say, you are playing poker with your friends, some locals, and obvious idiots who don't understand the game, vs. you, a good smart player, and now you are playing a game, and you bet and the guy who has to call doesn't have enough money in front of him so he goes all in and you make a side pot, and wow, you've won.....nice pot for you.....NO!!!!! IT's not a nice pot for you!!!

Scenario 2: You are in the same situation, you bet, well hot dang, the person you just bet into has a good hand, wow, he decides to raise you, but you know what, the money is in his pocket, so he pulls it out to raise you, now your teeth grind because just before, he didn't pull shy because his hand was marginal, so what do you do? Let him pull his money out?? .....so if he wins then he wins a better pot than you do.!!!

NO!!!!!!!!!!

I am against anyone who pulls money shy from the table and at the same time goes all in, and then you have to create a side pot which you end up taking down, because if he had a good hand, he would have pulled money from his pocket.

think about this...and you let me know if it makes sense.

Set this rule up before any home game begins....

I hate mutts that tap out with marginal hands and then reach in their pockets when they have the nuts or near nuts.

THIS ISN'T RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

It's either one or the other, NOT BOTH!!!!!

Explain to the people who don't understand this...

I explained it last time, because sometimes the cards just don't come. Then I get this sorry excuse from this one guy, "yeah but we are all friends here, it's not like we are beating each other up" yeah we are friends....and that's nice but, don't reach into your pocket, now because you had a full house on the last card and then tap out with a pair of 88's because you thought I was bluffing....that's HORSE S*&T

01-13-2002, 09:01 PM
Home games have to be nurtured, a lot of work must go into keeping the vibes right when the lineup is good. Otherwise they will die out faster than an orchid in a snowstorm.

Yeah, of course what this guy is doing is laughably transparent and it cost you a bit of money. But his line yeah but we are all friends here, it's not like we are beating each other up has a lot of merit from his (their) point of view. Getting steamed up over it is a long run losing play.

I suggest next time, especially if the game is at your house, make the rule that any player can go light on a pot ie borrow money from the pot during a hand where he doesn't have enough chips on the table to see the next bets. I know this isn't optimal, but in the long run it solves a lot of problems and keeps all the money in the game.

I'm constantly amazed at the amount of either unethical play or downright cheating that goes on by some of the weaker players but I rarely say anything directly. The other night one guy (the host of all people) was tossing in white chips when a red or blue chip was required. After several hands of this in which I wasn't directly involved, I entered a pot in which he, too, was competing for. Halfway through the hand I said, "The pot's light. What's up?" I went on to explain that there should be $22 in the pot but that I could count only $20.50. I looked at him as I said it. Problem finished without any drama.

Generally speaking the people who are the weaker players in a home game are the ones more likely to try to peek at their neighbours hands, shoot an angle or make some other kind of unethical play. Use diplomacy to straighten them out because as the man said, "We're all friends here". And if you ain't a friend most likely they'll start looking for someone to replace you.

01-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Of course you're right but the key is exactly what driftaway says. Set the rule ahead of time and be polite. If you're going to protest WHILE somebody pulls money out of their pocket, try this. Say, "Well, I only bet that much because I wanted to scare everyone. I knew you couldn't cover it all. So, either go all-in or I can pull out part of my bet, OK?"

Personally, I let it happen once, explain in very polite terms that since it is a friendly game, I don't want anybody else to get screwed, and set the rules for future play. If you lose the argument and people are given the choice of pulling out of their pocket or not, then do what is best for you. Keep only a minimal amount in front of you and take out of your pocket as you need it. Trust me...they'll stop that pretty quick and set the rules for good.

Mojay

01-15-2002, 03:47 PM
If and when the stakes at your home game go up, you will have to have a rule in place.

Make it clear to all that the money in front of you is the ONLY money in play. Whether it be chips or cash, it is in play.

The all-in rule can help as much as hurt so it's up to the player.

It's also up to the player to know before a hand is dealt whether or not he needs to buy more chips. Once the hand has begun, what you have in front of you is what you play with.

01-15-2002, 09:21 PM
In the home games I play a all-in player who loses the hand is out of the game.He is presumed to be tapped out(broke).

He can re-enter if (a.)Someone loans him money and a seat is open. (b.)He leaves the premises, (to bank,ATM,etc.),returns, and a seat is open.

01-17-2002, 09:20 AM
I hate people going into their pockets. In my game i am probably the only player that doesn't do it. I think betting into someone you know cannot raise and then having them go into the pocket is a terrible way to run a game.

But the rules people play under are the rules. I have had the pleasure/misfortune of dealing a 200/200/200/200/800 game where people were playing the pocket trick or tapping at their own leisure. If they tapped out and lost they would go to the ATM for more money, but the funny thing is the ATM outside has a $500 limit, and people were coming back in with over $5,000.

As much as i didn't like having much to do with the game getting tipped (no wages just tips) $5-$20 on the majority of hands was pretty sweet.

01-17-2002, 02:29 PM
Easy Solution that we use at my home game.

You are free to either pull light from the pot and make up the difference after the hand or you can go all-in. However, once you go all in you must continue to go all in for the remainder of the night/session etc. Furthermore, you must declare that you will be going all in before the hand is dealt, or you are going to be drawing light. Thus you can't get somoene who''s somewhat short on chips decide in the middle of a hand.

01-17-2002, 05:53 PM
that way the rule is made, and you can buy more chips between hands anytime you want. works with us. only one time did we have guys pull $$ out of their pockets, way more than the pot was, in fact, and they both did it. funny thing was, they both tied for nut low (wheel)in Omaha8, while i too had the nut low, and the high hand. i put cash in too, just because i knew what was gonna happen, and i took a nice pot... they never pulled cash out again... i wonder why.

01-17-2002, 11:56 PM