PDA

View Full Version : My Sit N Go encounter with Phil Gordon Last Night on Full Tilt

DonkeyKong
12-18-2004, 12:39 PM
2nd hand of $50 1-table tourney... (Stacks are ~$1,500 each)

Blinds are 15/30. Folded around to me on the button with JJ. I raise to 3x the BB and Gordon calls.

Flop come T 7 x with 2 hearts.

He bets $120 into ~$200 pot. I raise to $520. He calls.

Turn comes Q -- not a heart. He bets ~$500, I call.

River comes A, no heart. He moves all-in, I do what?
-----

At this point, I just don't believe Gordon would play an A like this, except AT. I am worried about the Q but I think it is equally likely he put me on a good T while he was on a flush draw and he is now betting the scare cards.

So what do you think Phil Gordon had?? (He showed them -- either through me calling or him just showing after I laid down).

pindawg
12-18-2004, 01:01 PM
AA ..

I don't think he was on a flush draw and he didn't have a reason to put you on one either playing headsup, hence weak smallish flop bet, trying to induce action from a 10. He came out firing on all other streets, like he's representing a strong hand.

ojsdaman
12-18-2004, 01:53 PM
I think he had Ax with the A being a heart. and he probably put you on Kx or so thinking you were attempting to steal

DonkeyKong
12-18-2004, 02:14 PM
tell me how you got to Ax given the action? you think he calls my re-raise on the flop with Ax??

DonkeyKong
12-18-2004, 02:30 PM
so far, I have shown strength pre-flop, albeit from a steal position, and then raised another $400 on the flop, nearly 1/3 his stack.

I think at this point you have to put me on at least AK/AQ or an overpair or a T.

When he calls this raise, I put him on a T or he is smooth calling with a set and will soon have all my chips. But given my pre-flop raise, why wouldn't he check his set? He could be tricky but I think he has a T here or possibly middle pair with a big card: ie K7 or A7...

Then the Q hits and he bets out? Again, why would he bet out here knowing I will bet? Either he is playing this REALLY well or maybe he just thinks I will lose my nerve if I have AT, KT, JT or JJ and a Q hits. But I call.

Now A hits the river. At this point, we each have <$500 or so left.

He moves all-in. Answer of what he has coming soon... anyone else?

mscott2374
12-18-2004, 02:46 PM
I think that you call & he shows you 77

DonkeyKong
12-18-2004, 03:07 PM
I call. I feel like the way the hand was played, how could he move all-in when an Ace hits on the river?? why is he in this hand to the river if he is holding an A? It really only makes sense if he has exactly AT or a set or T7 I guess. More likely, his all-in screamed out to me -- 'he is betting a scare card and expecting me to lay down the best hand.' Net net, there was too much money in the pot to lay down unless I was sure. With only ~475 chips remaining, what am I going to do in this tourney if I lay down here? scratch & claw and not make the money anyway most likely.

I must admit that in retrospect, I really should not have been playing such a big pot on an unimproved JJ -- but I felt like what was Gordon doing if he didn't have a set on the flop??? why would HE put so much money into this pot from the SB??

Answer: I call the All-in. Gordon shows T6-offsuit. He is out 2nd hand of the tourney. He says in the chat: "How could you call me with that?"... I reply: "well folks, now that the dead money is gone, lets play cards..."

Running over pros is fun. I admit I didn't play my usual game because it was Phil Gordon and so you might call this a donkey move by me... but the hand just didn't make sense to me... so what the hell was Phil doing???

DK

pooh74
12-18-2004, 03:14 PM
lol...even pros make stupid comments like that? Good stuff!!! "How could you call me with that?" lol...after showing T6o...priceless. You should move this one over to the B&M thread on "funniest comments ever heard at the table"

gh donkey

bigredlemon
12-18-2004, 03:38 PM
sounds like he really is playing on tilt. Unless the secret to winning tournaments is bet out anytime you catch any of the flop? /images/graemlins/blush.gif

pindawg
12-18-2004, 03:41 PM
10-6o was my second guess

Strollen
12-18-2004, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
reply: "well folks, now that the dead money is gone, lets play cards..."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Great retort, I generally think of those 10 minutes latter. Did he saying anything else?

sfwusc
12-19-2004, 02:44 AM
was this online or live??

SFWUSC

DonkeyKong
12-19-2004, 03:14 AM
Did he saying anything else?

not really. he mentioned something about playing another Sit N Go because he had just played so poorly and he wanted to redeem himself.

this was online at fulltiltpoker.com

incidentally, part of the reason I doubted him was because before this sit n go happened, I was playing in another Sit N Go and was watching Phil play on a seperate screen (going on at the same time). He was raising and calling with basically any 2 cards pre-flop. So when he called my raise in this hand, I felt he likely had junk and was just trying to hit a flop. I was right but jeez, he really just couldn't get away from that T6-off.

Michael C.
12-19-2004, 04:21 AM
Did you ever think of one other possibility: since this was a $50 Sit 'N Go he probably couldn't be bothered to play well? He might be required to play a certain number of hours by his sponsor, but they can't force him to really care. :-)

housenuts
12-19-2004, 04:47 AM
i was gonna say T7, but T6 is just atrocious