PDA

View Full Version : Why we don't play cheese?

Schneids
12-18-2004, 06:27 AM
First hand at the table. No notes other than knowing button is more than capable of raising draws.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Schneids is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB folds, Schneids calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Schneids bets</font>, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Schneids calls, UTG calls, MP calls, CO calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Schneids checks, UTG checks, MP checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Schneids raises</font>...

balkii
12-18-2004, 06:45 AM
am I supposed to be calling PF there?

Schneids
12-18-2004, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not but I'm Mr. Big-Pot-Poker and I like my ability to play well post flop which may or may not be enough to make it profitable who knows.

NLSoldier
12-18-2004, 07:02 AM
I don't understand the title of the post but I like the play.

Schneids
12-18-2004, 07:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the title of the post but I like the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Q9o in the BB against an UTG raise can kinda lead to troublesome spots.

Yeah, I'm more interested int he postflop play anyway. I think the PF is close enough for me I'd rather not debate it if possible.

helpmeout
12-18-2004, 07:28 AM
I usually call Q9o unless its a total rock with PFR less than 10.

I like the turn raise, you might knockout an A or a K if you are lucky. I do think that Mr UTG might 3bet if he has AK though, in which case you can throw this pretty quick.

kiddo
12-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Did u call flop with the intention of raising BB if he bet after being checked 2? But there are a very strong straightdraw AND a flushdraw, why not hope this is his and 3bet flop? When he bet turn I would guess he is not on a draw and then u are probably behind drawing dead or with 4 tiny outs for bottom straight. But since u didnt 3bet flop u cant really know.

fnord_too
12-18-2004, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not but I'm Mr. Big-Pot-Poker and I like my ability to play well post flop which may or may not be enough to make it profitable who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting 9-1, how is this not an easy call with Q9o preflop?

1800GAMBLER
12-18-2004, 12:40 PM
I like all postflop. I don't make the call preflop though.

Your Mom
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
Preflop play is all about what how comfortable you are at the table. I can see Q9o going either way in this spot. I would tend to fold, but can see times where I would call. Ok, we don't want to discuss that anyway. On to the flop. When I read the hand, I was rooting for a 3 bet on the flop to try to clear the field. Turns out you planned a turn c/r. Even better. Now, what do you do when you get 3 bet? Pot is too big to fold with possibly a lot of outs. If you don't improve on the river, are you calling?

spider
12-19-2004, 01:30 AM
What is the reason for leading the flop? It seems like this is likely to build the pot at a time when your equity is probably not very high.

joker122
12-19-2004, 03:44 AM
i do postflop the same, expecting UTG to cooperate.

preflop, you are too badly dominated most of the time to make this call profitable.

jrobb83
12-19-2004, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like this is likely to build the pot at a time when your equity is probably not very high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, the preflop raisor will autoraise most of the time here and clear away the rest of the cheese on the flop. Schneid's postflop line was best to maximize the protection of his hand on both streets.

spider
12-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Doh! Misread that it was UTG who raised pre and button who raised post. My bad. Shouldn't be responding to these late at night.

Though I still wonder what Q9o is worth on that flop. I know it is a big pot but how often is is holding up there, even when you can thin the field on the flop or turn?

Jeff W
12-19-2004, 12:17 PM
I like your play in this hand except for the pre flop call. Q9o probably has showdown equity, but positional considerations swing this to a fold for me.

Schneids
12-19-2004, 12:22 PM
All fold to button who calls. Wheee, success.

River: 8d.

What's your plan now?

What's your plan if the river is a 4d or 4h?

krishanleong
12-19-2004, 12:37 PM
8d, easy river bet, call a raise.
4d, Check-call. He may have the flush. He may have a pair+straight draw that he'll bluff with on the river. It's easy to represent the flush draw here and he could easily have J9, T9, KJ, KT.
4h, bet, expect to be called by a draw+pair.

Krishan