PDA

View Full Version : Useless Information Thread

Justin A
12-18-2004, 03:53 AM
The octopus is the most intelligent sea creature behind the dolphin.

Justin A

Justin A
12-18-2004, 03:57 AM
There are approximately ten million bricks in the Empire State Building.

Justin A

Alobar
12-18-2004, 03:59 AM
albert einstien was 26 when he published the theory of relativity

you can make a battery out of some nickels, pennies, and some salt water

squab is the name for a baby pigeon

daryn
12-18-2004, 04:01 AM
dolphins are the only animals other than humans that have sex for fun.

Alobar
12-18-2004, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is actually a DALnet IRC channel, for people who like to have sex with dolphins. Apparently dolphins have been known to try and stimulate humans sexually.

ThaSaltCracka
12-18-2004, 04:20 AM
my penis is gigantic

kyro
12-18-2004, 04:23 AM
congratulations. you've made arod a very happy man.

Justin A
12-18-2004, 12:12 PM
The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

_2000Flushes
12-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Chickens can't swallow upside-down.

-2kF

Lazymeatball
12-18-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tesla eventually died, literally pennyless, on January 7th, 1943. It is rather sad that a man who gave the world so much, received so little for his efforts. History books have been unkind as well. Even today, many texts still credit Marconi with the invention of radio, despite the Supreme Court decision which overruled the Marconi patent, awarding it to Tesla. In many parts of this country, people still refer to the electric utility as the 'Edison Company', even though they use the Tesla-Westinghouse alternating current system, NOT Edison's direct current. At the Niagra Falls power generating station, a small statue of Tesla is purposely left unilluminated at night. It has been said that Tesla is the Forgotten Father of Technology. Tesla himself once commented "... The present is theirs. (skeptics of the day) The future, for which I really worked, is mine." How true indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.apc.net/bturner/tesla.htm

CrazyEyez
12-18-2004, 02:00 PM
The musk ox neither has musk glands, nor is an ox.

partygirluk
12-18-2004, 02:02 PM
The female Hyena is so masculine that it has an 8 inch dummy penis, and testicles.

brassnuts
12-18-2004, 02:10 PM
"The peanut is neither a pea nor a nut! Oh wait, it is a nut."

LondonBroil
12-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Polar Bear's fur is actually clear and not white.

A man named Ed Peterson is the inventor of the Egg McMuffin.

The porpoise is second to man as the most intelligent animal on the planet.

LondonBroil
12-18-2004, 03:01 PM
A person standing under an oak tree is 16 more times liable to be hit by lightning than if he had taken refuge beneath a beech tree. The oak tree has vertical roots which provide a more direct route to ground water.

Clarkmeister
12-18-2004, 03:08 PM
For Christmas, I buy my best friend's wife each year's new Winnie the Pooh ornament from Hallmark.

GuyOnTilt
12-18-2004, 03:16 PM
There very well may (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor) not be any more Olympic Games in our universe.

GoT

LondonBroil
12-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Pregnant goldfish are "twits."

WDC
12-18-2004, 03:50 PM
you can light non dairy creamer on fire

horsey sauce can clean pennies like nobody's business

LondonBroil
12-18-2004, 04:44 PM
In 1970, Russel T. Tansie, an Arizona lawyer filed a $100,000 damage lawsuit against God. The suit was filed on behalf of Mr. Tansie's secretary, Betty Penrose, who accused God of negligence in His power over the weather when He allowed a lightning bolt to strike her home. Ms. Penrose won the case when the defendant failed to appear in court. Whether or not she collected has not been recorded.

In the original "Star Wars: A New Hope", Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker, called out the name of actress Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia, instead of actually calling out "Leia" in the scene near the end where he gets out of his X-wing after destroying the Death Star.

The silhouette on the Major League Baseball logo is Harmon Killebrew.

Contrary to popular belief, there are almost no Buddhists in India, nor have there been for about a thousand years.

The primary purpose of growing rice in flooded paddies is to drown the weeds surrounding the young seedlings. Rice can, in fact, be grown in drained areas.

eric5148
12-18-2004, 05:20 PM
I though this was for useless info? That's actually interesting stuff.

fsuplayer
12-18-2004, 05:41 PM
useless and interesting are mutually exclusive.

rusellmj
12-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Giraffes have no vocal chords.

gaming_mouse
12-18-2004, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a legume.

DoubleupDinan
A female hyena has a penis that doesn’t work

gaming_mouse
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do we know they're are doing it for fun?

Usul
12-18-2004, 06:30 PM
It's actually an eight inch long clitoris. Female hyenas are also bigger than males.

DoubleupDinan
12-18-2004, 06:34 PM
haha, thanks for clarifying.

wacki
12-18-2004, 07:04 PM
The red and white mushroom in Alice and wonderland is called Amanita Muscaria. The mushroom is the size of an 8" saucer plate and causes size distortion just like in the movie. The psychoactive chemical isn't degraded by the kidney so Shammans will drink their urine to maintain an almost perpetual high. -This knowledge is useless because it only grows in Siberia.

A Loredo Bowie knife can chop through a 2x4 in five hits.

The human male's brain has about 1 billion more brain cells than the females.

Artificial vanilla is made from sawdust. More specifically the glue that holds the tree together. There is no difference chemically between artificial vanilla and and the main component of natural vanilla.

LondonBroil
12-18-2004, 08:02 PM
Spiders have transparent blood.

Most toilets flush in E flat.

Spam stands for Shoulder Pork and hAM.

Parker Brothers prints about 50 billion dollars worth of Monopoly money in one year.

"The Tale of Genji", a Japanese work from the early eleventh century, is considered by many scholars to be the world's first full novel. The novel was written by a woman: Murasaki Shikibu, or Lady Murasaki.

The Hoover Dam was built to last 2,000 years. The concrete in it will not even be fully cured for another 500 years.

LondonBroil
12-18-2004, 08:06 PM
When Coca-Cola began to be sold in China, they used characters that would sound like "Coca-Cola" when spoken. Unfortunately, what they turned out to mean was "Bite the wax tadpole".

In the kingdom of Bhutan, all citizens officially become a year older on New Year's Day.

acetwothreefourfivesixseveneightninetenjackqueenki ng: Excluding the joker, if you add up the letters in all the names of the cards in the deck (Ace, two, three, four,...,king). the total number of letters is 52, the same as the number of cards in the deck.

The names of the two stone lions in front of the New York Public Library are Patience and Fortitude. They were named by then-mayor Fiorello LaGuardia.

7.5 million toothpicks can be created from a cord of wood.

On average, there are 333 squares of toilet paper on a roll.

If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

Rain contains vitamin B12.

By raising your legs slowly and laying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand.

The average McDonald's Big Mac bun has 198 sesame seeds on it.

The exact geographic center of the United States is near Lebanon, Kansas.

On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.

GuyOnTilt
12-18-2004, 08:10 PM

Hormel once made an official statement saying that's what it stood for. The "AM" was actually "And haM" though. Hormel's current offical statement is that SPAM stands for "Synthetically Produced Artificial Meat".

GoT

LondonBroil
12-18-2004, 08:11 PM
If China imported just 10% of it's rice needs- the price on the world market would increase by 80%.

Zip code 12345 is assigned to General Electric in Schenectady, NY.

The book of Esther in the Bible is the only book which does not mention the name of God.

November 29 is National Sinky Day; a day to eat over one's sink and worship it.

Charlie Brown's father was a barber.

In the film 'Star Trek : First Contact', when Picard shows Lilly she is orbiting Earth, Australia and Papua New Guinea are clearly visible... but New Zealand is missing.

Despite the fact that 77 percent of Americans go to the grocery store with a list, it's estimated that half of everything bought there is bought on impulse. Supermarkets report very strong sales of almost anything they stock at the check-out line.

In 1979, Namco released Pac-Man, the most popular arcade game of all time. Over 300,000 units were sold worldwide. More than 100,000 units are sold in the United States alone. Originally named Puck Man, the game was retitled after executives saw the potential for vandals to scratch out part of the letter P on the game's marquee, which might discourage parents from letting their children play. Pac-Man became the first video game to be popular with both males and females.

spamuell
12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hormel once made an official statement saying that's what it stood for. The "AM" was actually "And haM" though. Hormel's current offical statement is that SPAM stands for "Synthetically Produced Artificial Meat".

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, none of this is correct GoT. I could tell you what SPAM really stands for, but I'd have to kill you through ODing on spam. It's not a pretty way to go.

I wish I still had my old avatar. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

wacki
12-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Einstein, who is a noted pacifist that denounced all forms of violence when living in the US, was also a big fan of violence when it was convenient. Particularly when he was living in Nazi germany. He is also reported to be a very verbally abusive husband.

"But by the time be achieved universal renown, unknown to an admiring world, he had clocked up two failed marriages, at least one affair and had fathered an illegitimate child."

"In his unhappy home life, Einstein joined a long list of other male pacifists who, sadly, were emotionally cruel to their wives: Tolstoy, Bertrand Russell, Gandhi, The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr."

http://www.commondreams.org/views/022100-101.htm

_2000Flushes
12-18-2004, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wish I still had my old avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Chad more than Spam.

http://www.efcer.org/images/missions/countries/flags/large/romania-lf.gif

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/US/West/08/22/offbeat.hawaii.spam.ap/vert.spam.jpg

-2kF

gaming_mouse
12-18-2004, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By raising your legs slowly and laying on your back, you can't sink in quicksand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this description.

_2000Flushes
12-18-2004, 09:51 PM
It's also known as Congress of the Cow.

-2kF

spamuell
12-18-2004, 09:54 PM
I like Chad more than Spam.

My avatar is meant to be the Romanian flag, apparently they have the same one as Chad.

I'm impressed you managed to dig up my old avatar.

GuyOnTilt
12-18-2004, 10:14 PM
Actually, none of this is correct GoT.

What does it offically stand for then? And don't say "SPiced hAM" 'cause that's what everybody says, but it's not what Hormel says. They're official position right now is that it stands for "Synthetically Produced Artificial Meat."

GoT

spamuell
12-18-2004, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, none of this is correct GoT.

What does it offically stand for then? And don't say "SPiced hAM" 'cause that's what everybody says, but it's not what Hormel says. They're official position right now is that it stands for "Synthetically Produced Artificial Meat."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha GoT, did you read the rest of that post? Where I threatened to kill you by forcing you to OD on spam? How big would the pot have to be for you to call a river bet with a hand that could only beat a joke?

GuyOnTilt
12-18-2004, 10:46 PM
Haha GoT, did you read the rest of that post? Where I threatened to kill you by forcing you to OD on spam? How big would the pot have to be for you to call a river bet with a hand that could only beat a joke?

Okay, I guess I'm an idiot. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'm out. Thai food awaits.

GoT

jasonHoldEm
12-18-2004, 11:51 PM
You can get high by eating nutmeg (assuming you don't puke).

Justin A
12-19-2004, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently dolphins have been known to try and stimulate humans sexually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute. This thread is for useless information...

Justin A

Joe Tall
12-19-2004, 01:46 AM
The World Series Trophy is 38lbs and designed by Tiffany.

Peace,
Joe Tall

dr. klopek
12-19-2004, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The human male's brain has about 1 billion more brain cells than the females.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew it! Finally, scientific evidence.

LondonBroil
12-19-2004, 02:10 AM
You're more likely to get stung by a bee on a windy day that in any other weather.

The longest Monopoly game ever played was 1,680 hours long.

The Bible is the number one shoplifted book in America.

Annually, approximately 46 millions Cokes, five million pounds of french fries, and seven million hamburgers are consumed at Walt Disney World Resort.

In 1982, a cactus in Phoenix, Arizona killed a man. David Grundman fired two shotgun blasts at a giant saguaro cactus that ended up falling on top of him.

Casey Kasem is the voice of Shaggy on the cartoon show "Scooby-Doo." Casey Kasem, being a strict vegetarian, also requested that Shaggy follow the same diet on the show.

A small drip from a faucet can waste up to 50 gallons of water daily, which is enough water to run a dishwasher twice on a full cycle.

In the 1985 Boise, Idaho mayoral election, there were four write-in votes for Mr. Potato Head.

The first domain name ever registered was Symbolics on March 15, 1985.

The world record for time without sleep is 264 hours (11 days) by Randy Gardner in 1965

In a lifetime, the average house cat spends approximately 10,950 hours purring.

96% of candles that are purchased are by women.

In New York City, approximately 1,600 people are bitten by other humans annually.

In a study that was done by the University of Chicago in 1907, it was concluded that the easiest color to spot is yellow. This is why John Hertz, who is the founder of the Yellow Cab Company picked cabs to be yellow.

The 20th president of the United States James Garfield could write Greek with one hand and Latin with the other at the same time.

The microwave oven was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

All babies are colour blind when they are born.

During his entire life, Vincent Van Gogh sold exactly one painting, Red Vineyard at Arles.

dr. klopek
12-19-2004, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The 20th president of the United States James Garfield could write Greek with one hand and Latin with the other at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That dude is my Grandmother's Grandfather.

ilikebigbets
12-19-2004, 02:26 AM
What did all the characters of Shakespeare have in common?

None of them smoked.

LondonBroil
12-19-2004, 02:42 AM
Hitler was voted Time Magazines man of the year in 1938.

A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.

A jiffy is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second. Thus the saying, I will be there in a jiffy.

Antarctica is the only land on our planet that is not owned by any country.

Paper money is not made from wood pulp but from cotton. This means that it will not disintegrate as fast if it is put in the laundry.

The strike note of the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is e-flat.

One gallon of used motor oil can ruin approximately one million gallons of fresh water.

Coconuts kill more people in the world than sharks do. Approximately 150 people are killed each year by coconuts.

An airplane mechanic invented Slinky while he was playing with engine parts and realized the possible secondary use for the springs.

In Washington D.C., no building can be built taller than the Washington Monument.

The IRS employees tax manual has instructions for collecting taxes after a nuclear war.

Almost 425,000 hotdogs and buns, 160,000 hamburgers and cheeseburgers were served at Woodstock '99. (I was there)

Russian I.M. Chisov survived a 21,980 plunge out of a plane with no parachute. He landed on the steep side of a snow-covered mountain with only a fractured pelvis and slight concussion.

There are 122 pebbles per square inch on a Spalding basketball.

The most collect calls are made on Father's Day.

The dot that appears over the letter "i" is called a tittle.

The New York Stock Exchange started out as a coffee house.

The first toilet being flushed in a motion picture was in the movie "Psycho."

youtalkfunny
12-19-2004, 08:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this before, and it makes no sense to me at all.

Why do the OTHER animals have sex then? Sense of duty? They understand procreation? THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS!

fsuplayer
12-19-2004, 04:34 PM
ummm...instinct to reproduce?

daryn
12-19-2004, 04:47 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this before, and it makes no sense to me at all.

Why do the OTHER animals have sex then? Sense of duty? They understand procreation? THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS!

[/ QUOTE ]

animals often fornicate in order to assure that the species does not become extinct.

PoBoy321
12-19-2004, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] It's a legume.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is really a fancy word for a seed. While we're on the topic of useless information, George Washington Carver discovoered over 300 different uses for peanuts, not the least of which are peanut butter and diesel fuel.

PoBoy321
12-19-2004, 05:35 PM
I've heard of John Titor before, but let's be serious. He's gotta be bogus. His time machine doesn't contain a flux capacitor, and there's no way a 1966 Chevy could produce 1.21 Gigawatts.

Lazymeatball
12-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Wow, I gave an long rambling speech once, 3 or 4 minutes of which consisted soley of listing George Washington Carvers discovered uses for the peanut.

GuyOnTilt
12-19-2004, 07:20 PM
I've heard of John Titor before, but let's be serious. He's gotta be bogus. His time machine doesn't contain a flux capacitor, and there's no way a 1966 Chevy could produce 1.21 Gigawatts.

Wow, someone actually clicked on the link! How much more plausible does his authenticity become when you read some of the statements released by CERN in the last 40 months relating to research and experimentation in the area of mini black holes and theoretical "time" travel? I am not educated in this area of advanced physics, so I know only what I read from sources and take it at face value, so I really am incapable of debating this issue except for pointing you to what others have said and debated already. : / I also wouldn't say I "believe" this guy, but I do find it interesting and am open to the idea that it's both possible and plausible. The more I read and research about the physics behind it, the more I keep leaning toward thinking he could be legit though.

GoT

PoBoy321
12-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Granted, yes. Some of the science behind his claims are feasible and yes, it IS interesting that some of the claims he's made have come true, but let's be serious. If you were living in 2035 and went back in time, would you let your presence be known by posting on internet message boards?

GuyOnTilt
12-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Granted, yes. Some of the science behind his claims are feasible and yes, it IS interesting that some of the claims he's made have come true...

Yeah, though them coming true or not coming true doesn't make him right or wrong. It does make it more likely he's legit though.

...but let's be serious. If you were living in 2035 and went back in time, would you let your presence be known by posting on internet message boards?

No clue. I would guess not, but if his story's true then he's just one who has in who knows how many who haven't. Also, he has lived most of his adult life without the internet, so I wouldn't blame him for being curious and wanting to play around with a novel technology.

GoT

daryn
12-19-2004, 08:36 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

How do we know they're are doing it for fun?

[/ QUOTE ]

not 100% positive but i think that dolphins and humans are the only mammals without a penis bone. almost all mammals have the bone to produce an erection for procreation, but humans and dolphins don't need it.

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
not 100% positive but i think that dolphins and humans are the only mammals without a penis bone. almost all mammals have the bone to produce an erection for procreation, but humans and dolphins don't need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about horses and dogs? I don't think they have a bone.

Also, chimpanzees (and probably other primates) have sex for fun. But they are basically humans anyway.

Peca277
12-19-2004, 08:57 PM
In Washington D.C., no building can be built taller than the Washington Monument.

That is actually an incorrect, but often repeated factoid. The Post just had an article in the past month about some of the false urban legends in the area. No building in DC can be taller than the width of the street (bldg to bldg, not just travel lanes) + 20 feet. It's thought the rule was put in place because that's all the firemen could safely handle.

daryn
12-19-2004, 09:52 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

What about horses and dogs? I don't think they have a bone.

Also, chimpanzees (and probably other primates) have sex for fun. But they are basically humans anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm pretty sure dogs DO have the bone.

how do you know chimps have sex for fun?

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a course on primates in college. There were videos, and it sure seemed like they were doing it for fun. Also, there was one specific type of chimp -- I forget the name, but they are the smartest ones -- who have sex when they get stressed out. Like one chimp will warn the others of danger, and they will all just start screwing. I wish I could remember more details....

wacki
12-19-2004, 09:59 PM
The chimpanzee holds the record for the quickest sexual intercourse session at an average of three seconds.

http://www.quikcondoms.com/content.jsp?ch=fun_stuff&amp;id=95

I can tell you one thing, the penguins have it bad.

The penguin only has one single orgasm in a year.

daryn
12-19-2004, 10:01 PM
that doesn't seem like it's for fun at all.

i think i win.

wacki
12-19-2004, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a course on primates in college. There were videos, and it sure seemed like they were doing it for fun. Also, there was one specific type of chimp -- I forget the name, but they are the smartest ones -- who have sex when they get stressed out. Like one chimp will warn the others of danger, and they will all just start screwing. I wish I could remember more details....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not chimps. Those are bonobos.

http://www.blockbonobofoundation.org/

Bonobos have some kind of sex almost every day, usually several times a day.

Females are in heat for three-quarters of their cycle, and many of them copulate even when not in heat, a sexual pattern more like human females than that of any other mammal. Though common chimpanzees only partake in basic reproductive sex, bonobos share all kinds of sexual pleasures, including cunnilingus, fellatio, masturbation, massage, bisexuality, incest, body-licking, sex in different positions, group sex, and lots of long, deep, wet, soulful, French kissing.

Like tantric sex practitioners, or just like two people very much in love, copulating bonobos often look deeply into each other’s eyes.

They are very unique animals.

PhatTBoll
12-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Wacki wins.

I think I'm gonna start producing bonobo monkey porn. Seems like there's a market for it.

gaming_mouse
12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
wacki,

yes! those are the ones i was thinking of.

gm