eric5148
12-18-2004, 03:30 AM
Haven't seen it, who else is in it?

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 03:31 AM
what is it about?

Alobar
12-18-2004, 03:32 AM
I thought the movie had several faults from a character development/story standpoint. And it started to drag towards the middle end. But the end really gave the movie its power and made it a very good movie IMO.

wacki
12-18-2004, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the movie had several faults from a character development/story standpoint. And it started to drag towards the middle end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what faults?

wacki
12-18-2004, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great movie, very underrated.

another awesome norton performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. And so does everyone I know that's seen it.

fsuplayer
12-18-2004, 03:41 AM
short summary:

a guy is going to jail in 24hrs for drug charges.

relationships with all his friends/family/girlfriend are very strained as he is about to go to jail for 4-5 yrs i think.

its one of those movies that doesnt sound good at all if you are trying to explain it to someone, but its a great flick.

if you like norton, barry pepper, and phillip seymour hoffmon, and anna pasquin, they are all awesome.

oh yeah, rosario dawson is in it as well.

great ending.

Alobar
12-18-2004, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the movie had several faults from a character development/story standpoint. And it started to drag towards the middle end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what faults?

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole thing with the stock broker at work, and the teacher and his little student. Neither were developed very well and we really wernt given any reason to care. It was like they were added as after thought or maybe a bunch of stuff that would have gave it more relevance was cut out because the movie was to long. I dunno, it just didnt fit in with what made the movie good, and that is ed nortons character and what he was about to face.

fsuplayer
12-18-2004, 03:42 AM
I thought the movie had several faults from a character development/story standpoint.

i can see where you are coming from concerning the storyline having some holes, but I thought the character development and interaction was some of the best i have ever seen.

wacki
12-18-2004, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The whole thing with the stock broker at work, and the teacher and his little student. Neither were developed very well and we really wernt given any reason to care. It was like they were added as after thought or maybe a bunch of stuff that would have gave it more relevance was cut out because the movie was to long. I dunno, it just didnt fit in with what made the movie good, and that is ed nortons character and what he was about to face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine you are a drug dealer. You get arrested and you are facing life. Up until that point the only people you were hanging out with were the wild and crazy people in your business. When you are facing a lifetime in jail because of them, the last thing you want to do is hang out with them. And if they even mildly suspect you of being a rat, they aren't exactly going to be very comfortable around you. Even if they don't think you are going to be a rat, the mood is not going to be a fun one.

So what do you do? You visit your dorky long forgotten highschool friends that never screwed you over. Why? Because you feel safe with them. You know you can trust them. And it also helps you fantasize about what life would be like if you never became a drug dealer.

I thought it was perfect. It's a difference of opinion, but the truth is, that movie is very accurate. When drug dealers get caught they go back to their roots. A lot of times they aren't even allowed to talk to their drug related friends. So sometimes, it isn't even a choice. Correction, about 99.9% of the time it isn't even a choice.

Alobar
12-18-2004, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine you are a drug dealer. You get arrested and you are facing life. Up until that point the only people you were hanging out with were the wild and crazy people in your business. When you are facing a lifetime in jail because of them, the last thing you want to do is hang out with them. And if they even mildly suspect you of being a rat, they aren't exactly going to be very comfortable around you. Even if they don't think you are going to be a rat, the mood is not going to be a fun one.

So what do you do? You visit your dorky long forgotten highschool friends that never screwed you over. Why? Because you feel safe with them. You know you can trust them. And it also helps you fantasize about what life would be like if you never became a drug dealer.

I thought it was perfect. It's a difference of opinion, but the truth is, that movie is very accurate. When drug dealers get caught they go back to their roots. A lot of times they aren't even allowed to talk to their drug related friends. So sometimes, it isn't even a choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah exactly, thats what made the movie good. HIS relationship with them. Not what they are each doing on their own. It adds nothing, and it doesnt make us understand them anymore. It also wasnt developed enough. We arent given reason to care weather or not the stock broker guy(sorry its been a while since ive seen it, so I cant rmember the names) hits his figure, or that he sint doing what hes told. It wasnt developed enough. They could have completely left that stuff out and it would have been a good movie. Maybe even more so because it wouldnt have dragged on time wise as bad.

Dantes
12-18-2004, 04:08 AM
I liked most of it and dawson is a fox but that ridiculously out of place and over the top rant scene plus all of the 9/11 crap made me remember when I dislike spike.

wacki
12-18-2004, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah exactly, thats what made the movie good. HIS relationship with them. Not what they are each doing on their own. It adds nothing, and it doesnt make us understand them anymore. It also wasnt developed enough. We arent given reason to care weather or not the stock broker guy(sorry its been a while since ive seen it, so I cant rmember the names) hits his figure, or that he sint doing what hes told. It wasnt developed enough. They could have completely left that stuff out and it would have been a good movie. Maybe even more so because it wouldnt have dragged on time wise as bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that is a valid point. They could of gone more into his relationship with the stock broker. The teacher was a complete dork and so I thought that said tons right there. I thought he was developed as much as he needed to be.

I will agree that the stock broker could of been developed more, but I really liked the scenes that could of been dropped out. There were some very funny lines in those scenes.

It's still a great movie.

GuyOnTilt
12-18-2004, 03:18 PM
This is one of my favorite more recent films.

GoT

BeerMoney
12-18-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but that ridiculously out of place and over the top rant scene made me remember when I dislike spike.

[/ QUOTE ]

That actually comes from the book it was based on.

sublime
12-18-2004, 03:33 PM

i thought i was the only one. i was quite surprised it did not get more attention.

norton rules!

jakethebake
12-18-2004, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
another awesome norton performance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Borrrrring movie. Very overrated.

Nick B.
12-18-2004, 04:17 PM
I watched it once, didn't really like it. Forgot I watched it, saw it in a store, heard it was a good movie and bought it. Started watching it and remembered that I had seen it before. After watching it a second time, I think it is average. I haven't watched it again and that is very uncommon, so it I don't think it is great.

Slacker13
12-18-2004, 05:39 PM
I agree. Norton is one my favorite actors ever since American History X.

kerssens
12-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Is this the movie where Tony Siragusa plays a Russian guy?

Nick B.
12-18-2004, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the movie where Tony Siragusa plays a Russian guy?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes

DoubleupDinan
12-18-2004, 06:10 PM
I thought this was a great movie. Someone else said it that the end was what made it good - I agree. It kept me interested enough throughout the movie and then the end was excellent.

BK_
12-18-2004, 06:35 PM
i loved it