PDA

View Full Version : When should you stop buying back in?

12-21-2001, 11:04 AM
Hey there, i play in a weekly poker game, dealers choice, 20$ min entry shorthanded, normally about 5 of us. with 2 tight aggressive's, 1 loose aggressive, and a tight passive, and a loose passive.

Generally when people loose there 1st 20$ they buy back in, often loosing this again and going home empty handed, as our home poker game is generally dominated buy a select few players.

The problem I'm faced is that i (a borderline tight/loose aggressive player) often find myself buying in again and again when I'm on tilt and loosing mah' cash. On numerous occasions I've bought back in up to 60$ and come out with $100, which is fine, but sooner or later I'm going to loose a lot of money playing this way.

The reason for these multiple buy ins, is our no-limit, loose-aggressive game style where people are put the test of all their chips quite regularly.

Some people say, that i should buy in once, just once, if the cards go my way, and i have a good edge then fine, if you don't go home, watch some tele /images/smile.gif but i cant walk away looking at all the money on the table knowing if i buy back in i have a good chance at walking away with half of it.

My standings in this particular home poker game are as follows, which shows you a pattern of my buy ins, especially of late:

in $20 out $60 total: +$40 standings: +$40

in $40 out $20 total: -$20 standings:+$20 (2 buy ins)

in $36 out $36 total: $0 standings:+$20 (2 buy ins)

in $20 out $50 total: +$30 standings:+$50

in $40 out $30 total: -$10 standings:+$40 (2 buy ins)

in $40 out $40 total: $0 standings:+$40 (2 buy ins)

in $20 out $50 total: +$30 standings:+$70

in $60 out $90 total: +$30 standings:+$100 (3 buy ins)

in $60 out $50 total: -$10 standings:+$90 (3 buy ins)

Now I've taken all the times I've bought back in, and just made them -$20 loss instead of their original value and the end result is -$20 i think. so am i right in constantly buying back in as soon as i loose my chips at the showdown? it would seem so... $110 says it is... what do you guys think?

regards, thanks for reading my essay

Jake Quinn.

12-21-2001, 11:56 AM
I usually like to have all the money i'm willing to lose on the table, but that's a limit game. sounds like you don't want to risk your whole wallet at once. I'd agree with how you're doing it now since it's a tough game and you're still coming out ahead. You can't to make a big profit in this game with other tough players so keep it up. Look for bigger profits against weaker opponents.

12-21-2001, 05:12 PM
What's the minimum buy-in? What's the max? You may want to double your rebuy if you can. A good time for this is, when you lose your stack to weak player, or a large stack is controlled by a weak player. If you lose $20 and can rebuy for $40, do it. In no-limit you don't want to chip away their stack. You want the WHOLE stack. You have to break BIG stacks from time to time in no-limit to stay well ahead of the game.

12-21-2001, 10:12 PM
Hmm, very true, there is no max buy in, but after loosing $20-$40 in an hour i just dont feel secure enough to throw another $40-$60 on the table D: but yes your right, if its a bad player whos controlling the chips i should be back there without a doubt

cheers

Jake

12-23-2001, 08:40 PM
it doesnt matter what you do as long as you are a favorite in the game. the more times you buy back in the more you figure to be ahead after awhile. if you are a dog in the games the less you buy in the less you figure to be stuck.

in no limit the postion of the better players to your seat and the size of the stacks can have a bearing on what you should have in front of you.

12-24-2001, 08:18 AM
I generally do well in these games, but there is one maniac player who used to be loose passive, turned loose aggressive, and he often cuts the game up, either winning $100, or loosing $100 in constant re-buyins /images/smile.gif

I've since changed my style and hope it should work, I have been limping in to much and playing to loosely.

"If its worth a call its worth a raise"

"when in doubt raise"

these few sayings have inspired me /images/wink.gif im going to play less hands, but play them alot more aggressivly.

also theres a lot of good stuff about playing maniacs in that psychology of players/poker book produced by twoplustwo