PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Pair on Paired Board with Flush Draws

lehighguy
12-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Party 5/10

I have pocket 7s UTG. I raise (keep in mind I just raised like two of the last three hands, I had good cards each time but they didn't see the second one cause I bluffed the ace and got folds).

Hero: 7s, UTG, Raise
Anyway, I get UTG+1 call, SB call, BB call.

The Flop is: 10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 10/images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB Bets (he bets on every flop like this). I raise. UTG Folds, SB Cold Calls, BB folds.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB Bets. Hmmm. If he had it he would let me bet and checkraise. I decide to raise him to prevent the flush draw/overcards. SB Three Bets. I have no reads on SB (except he is down to $50 not in play, I notice people start acting strange short stacked), but I havn't noticed any looseness/aggresiveness/trickiness up to date.

Hero: Calls to showdown, folds, other?
I choose fold. Something told me he had tens, or a better PP, or overcards and a flush draw at best (which still gives him a bazillion outs. The pot is huge (9-10 BB) but it will cost me another 2 BB to see showdown. Besides, I told myself that the raise would also be a test to see if he had tens or a draw.

Comments?

Alobar
12-18-2004, 03:17 AM
I think folding to the 3 bet is a good idea.

naphand
12-18-2004, 05:49 AM
This Turn bet SNG I have found very frequently is some kind of made hand anxious you do not get a free card. It could be a 5 or any similar PP, the bet out on the Turn does not mean you are against a T, but almost certainly means you are against some kind of made hand, some small possibility he has a hand like X/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif or J9/67. I think I only raise here with an overpair or at least a pair above the 2nd-high card (here 99 against the 8). With a board like this it is far more likely opponent has hit his kicker, a PP or has some kind of draw (or both) than a T. These spots are tricky, but with a showdownable hand, the not unreasonable possibility you are still ahead and the total lack of read I would be more tempted to call the Turn and see a SD than fold out to a 3-bet.

I play weak when getting reads... /images/graemlins/laugh.gif