PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Brier/Ciaffone Advice

gaming_mouse
12-18-2004, 12:02 AM
In Middle Limit Holdem, Brier and Ciaffone recommend choosing rainbow flops for your steal bets into small fields. The argument (on p. 67-8) is that if you bet a 2-tone flop your opponents will put you on a flush draw, and therefore be more likely to call. Whereas if you bet a rainbow flop they are more likely to suspect a made hand, and therefore fold.

I had always thought just the opposite: That people are more likely to call on the rainbow flop. But maybe I havn't been paying close enough attention.

1. Do others agree with Ciaffone's and Brier's observation?

2. Is the fact that they are writing about middle limit relevant here? Is their obversation true for middle limit but false for small stakes?

TIA,
gm

thirddan
12-18-2004, 12:17 AM
personally, i would be less likely to bluff a ctwo flush flop because it is coordinated...on a coordinated board theere are more hands that can be out against you...

slavic
12-18-2004, 04:00 AM
On an uncordinated flop the bet looks more like a made hand. It's hard for a good player to convince himself your bluffing. If it is of this texture and also looks like it missed you, you may very well face a resteal. You need to judge the flop, your position and what other players think of you when you go hijacking pots.

arkady
12-18-2004, 04:12 AM
I find that its more effective to steal uncoordinated flops simply because you have less people drawing against you.

Bob T.
12-18-2004, 04:54 AM
I agree with them. If the board is uncoordinated, they can only put you on a made hand. Whenever the board is coordinated, I always have an extra level of skepticism whenever I am evaluating my opponents bets.

SinCityGuy
12-18-2004, 05:03 AM
It works best against one or two opponents on rainbow, uncoordinated boards like Q-7-2. If you bet out, you're going to win a high percentage of the time unless one of them has a queen.