PDA

View Full Version : Sit n Go Buy Ins for a Bankroll

CripAces
12-17-2004, 09:49 PM
I am sure that this gets asked a million times, but I was wondering what is considered an appropriate number of buy ins for a bankroll. Currently I have about 225 in my party poker account through playing the 5+1 sit n goes. I know that the rake is awful and that I should move up to the 10+1’s but I have lost a couple 50 dollar buy ins by playing way above my head. I have tried using the search feature and seemed rather incompetent when it came to finding an appropriate answer. So if someone could link me to a post that would be great. Thank you.

pshreck
12-17-2004, 09:52 PM
It is never worth paying the 20% rake to play in the 5+1's, not even to learn.

General consensus is 30 buy-ins, but this is more for the casual player who, when they lose the 30 buy ins, possibly just dont play poker for a few months or do something else.

I think if you are really serious, it is a minimum of 50 buy-ins, as the streaks can be frequent and long. If you catch some of the bad ones early, 30 buy ins is gonna look meager.

CripAces
12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Then my question is that at my current 225 level what do i do? Mind you this is been built up from 50. Do I just move up to the 10+1. I am really trying to maintain bankroll discipline.

bigredlemon
12-17-2004, 10:04 PM
When I played 5+1s on PP, I had a fairly high ITM% but the rake killed whatever profits I had. People are so wild there that you're forced to make a lot of risky moves... which greatly increases your variance.

I find 10+1 to be marginally harder. You'll have to play smarter but the skill difference isn't much different. At first my ITM% dropped by almost half (might have been bad luck), but it bounced back to about the same amount as 5+1 after a few days.

pshreck
12-17-2004, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Then my question is that at my current 225 level what do i do? Mind you this is been built up from 50. Do I just move up to the 10+1. I am really trying to maintain bankroll discipline.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be quite honest, 225 bucks is not enough of a real bankroll to play any form of poker. Possibly the .25/50 limit on Ultimate Bet.

As a beginner, I think you should just stay at low stakes, and realize that there is a very, very high chance that you will bust your bankroll before ever realizing consistent profit.

It happens to all of us.

Mr_J
12-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Play the $10s for sure. You have 20 buyins which isn't huge, but you shouldn't lose it at this level.

Turk
12-18-2004, 12:32 AM
I started in the $10's with $100 in my account at Party. Within a couple weeks I got it to $350 and back down as low as $130, but the suggested minimum bankroll is because it could as easily gone south for me from day one, and that would be it, I would be out until I put more in and mentally I would be under a ton of pressure, much more pressure than I need to be under in order to play with a clear head.
In paging through both recent and older posts I have run accross players in the highest skill set going through some pretty big swings at times. This reinforced a couple things for me as someone at the $10 level, one, everyone has swings and more money is better than less to be able to survive them both financially and emotionally.

Sidekick
12-18-2004, 12:54 AM
An alternative would be to pull your cash out of Party and open an account with Poker Stars! and play in their $6 Turbos until you have a sufficient bank roll to return to Party and play their $10+1 tournies.

Advantages would be that you will pay much less rake in the PS $6+$0.50 Turbos. The more rapid blind increase in the turbos will simulate the Party blind structure. The major point IMO is this will allow you to play in tournaments that are within your bank roll requirements until you have built it up to cover your needs to play the Party $10+1 SnGs.

Disadvantages are that you will not be playing at Party with their generally fishier waters. You will be playing with nearly twice as many starting chips (1500 as opposed to 800). The blind structures in the PS turbos still doesn't increase as rapidly as at Party so when/if you switch back that will take a small adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Ogre
12-18-2004, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is
Are you willing to go broke?
If you are not you should stay at the 5+1 level
And if you are willing to go broke and rebuy, you should just rebuy now and have a good enough bankroll for the 10s.

captZEEbo1
12-18-2004, 03:47 AM
One of the things people don't seem to realize is, once they HIT the 30x buyin mark, that doesn't mean they SHOULD be playing at that level. The 30x buyin mark basically just means, if you already ARE a skilled player at that level, then your risk of going broke is VERY small with the 30x buyin. Right now, I play the 30s and have accumulated a bankroll up from playing enough 10s, 20s, and 30s, that I technically have the required "30x buyin" for the 215s to play there, but it just isn't smart. I simply wouldn't be a winning player at that level, because I'm not used to playing tougher competition and I'm simply not skilled enough to handle the comptetion. One thing you have to remember is, the bankroll requirements for both limit (300x bb) and sngs ONLY apply if you are a winning player. There is NO bankroll max a losing player can have to not risk going broke.

The best thing to do is to play at each level until you're very comfortable with the limit. Once you are comfortable with it, and have enough bankroll, test out your skills at the next level of buyin. Don't just jump into the next level. My advice is to try the next level once or twice, and then continue earning at the lower buyin. Maybe for every 5 games you play at your limit, try one at the next limit.

Myst
12-18-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One of the things people don't seem to realize is, once they HIT the 30x buyin mark, that doesn't mean they SHOULD be playing at that level. The 30x buyin mark basically just means, if you already ARE a skilled player at that level, then your risk of going broke is VERY small with the 30x buyin. Right now, I play the 30s and have accumulated a bankroll up from playing enough 10s, 20s, and 30s, that I technically have the required "30x buyin" for the 215s to play there, but it just isn't smart. I simply wouldn't be a winning player at that level, because I'm not used to playing tougher competition and I'm simply not skilled enough to handle the comptetion. One thing you have to remember is, the bankroll requirements for both limit (300x bb) and sngs ONLY apply if you are a winning player. There is NO bankroll max a losing player can have to not risk going broke.

The best thing to do is to play at each level until you're very comfortable with the limit. Once you are comfortable with it, and have enough bankroll, test out your skills at the next level of buyin. Don't just jump into the next level. My advice is to try the next level once or twice, and then continue earning at the lower buyin. Maybe for every 5 games you play at your limit, try one at the next limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on the mark. There are ROR calculators out there that let you calculate an appropriate bankroll depending on your personal ROI.