PDA

View Full Version : If playing 9-handed, as opposed to 10, would my flop % be higher?

Terminator
12-17-2004, 09:46 PM
When playing 10-seater tables, my number of flops seen is 27% or under (usually well under 25%, and frequently over time coming in around 18%).

But on 9-seater tables, despite tightening up even further, I can't get the average below 30% and I'm playing no differently to a ten-seater table.

Is the difference really that great between a ten seater and nine seater table?

Thanks in advance.

Terminator
12-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Bump.

Or is it possible that a serious question gets no attention here?

CMangano
12-18-2004, 05:44 PM
The only reason why I would think your % would go up with 9 players as opposed to 10 is the fact that you are in the BB 1 out of every 9 hands instead of 10. I'm not really sure how much of a difference this would make.

As far as loosening up goes, I don't think having 9 players should in anyway change your game.

uuDevil
12-18-2004, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The only reason why I would think your % would go up with 9 players as opposed to 10 is the fact that you are in the BB 1 out of every 9 hands instead of 10. I'm not really sure how much of a difference this would make.

As far as loosening up goes, I don't think having 9 players should in anyway change your game.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is right. If you took, say SSH tight game recommendations, you would go from ~27% SF to ~29% SF in unraised pots in going from 10 to 9-handed.

Decreasing the number of players is a reason to loosen up, not get tighter. (Edit: going from 10 to 9 shouldn't change your pf strategy noticeably.) However, 30% is pretty loose unless you are getting a good run of cards or are playing in a game like $1/2 at Truepoker, where the blinds are 1-1.

The OP should get Pokertracker (or similar program). If you are worried about numbers, you want to have accurate ones.

jtr
12-18-2004, 06:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or is it possible that a serious question gets no attention here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's certainly possible. Questions more serious than yours have gone unnoticed in the past. I don't mean to be a jerk, but jeez guy, way to ingratiate yourself.

In an effort to be constructive and actually address the question: you quote a "flops seen %" rather than PokerTracker's VPIP (voluntarily put money in pot) measure, so I assume you're getting your numbers from Party's little stats window. As another poster has already pointed out, you'd expect to see a few more flops simply because you're the big blind a little more often and will therefore see more flops for free. There might also be a broader effect which means that you're in positions other than "incredibly early" more often and might therefore be entering the pot with more cards. The first effect (being the big blind a little more often) is not that interesting and I assume was not the real point of your post. The second effect is intriguing but I would guess not very significant. It would become more significant with somebody who was highly positional in their play, I suppose, with a tight 12% VPIP in the earliest seats and a much looser number like 35% on the button, with a smooth gradation in between. Are you this positional? Pokertracker definitely sounds like a good idea if you don't have it already: it would make this question extremely easy to answer.

La Brujita
12-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Another reason you should have a higher flops seen percentage is that you have more opportunities to steal from late position/button.

I would assume percentage difference should me much less 9 vs 10 then say 4 vs 5 especially in a loose full handed game.