PDA

View Full Version : 3-card stud/draw

12-10-2001, 03:46 AM
I'd love to hear of anyone who plays much 3-card, Iv'e played a bit and varied my strategy but basically I don't know how to play it well at all. Any players out there?

12-11-2001, 02:13 PM
Do you play stud or draw? 1, 2 or 3 draws? High or low? Do straights and flushes count?

12-11-2001, 04:40 PM
we mainly play stud-high.

Don't know if we play it entirely correctly.

Get one card at a time, round of better after each card, A straight beats a flush and three of a kind is the highest hand, three 3's being the top set. All cards usaully down but sometimes we vary it with one being up.

reagards,

Zane

12-11-2001, 06:34 PM
Is this the game where you can't call, only raise or fold? I think there was a pretty good discussion of it a while back in the other poker games forum.

12-12-2001, 12:23 AM
A straight should beat a flush, but I believe that a straight flush should beat trips. That's the way I've played it. There are 48 ways to make a three-card straight flush, but 52 ways to make trips. As for strategy, you're on your own. /images/smile.gif

12-21-2001, 10:03 AM
ha! this game makes for some monster pots, and horrible losses if theres wild cards in play.

once @ our home poker game 3 players pulled trips in the same round (4 wild cards in deck), one 3's one A's and one J's (the jacks being natural) as you can imagine there was some serious betting.

Also, I agree re: straight flush beating trips, I've seen many more trips than I've seen s/flushes.

my general theory for 3 card stud involves calling most 1st card bets with a picture card, and from there paying to draw (suited or connectors), or betting high with a pair or suited connectors on the 2nd round (note: if i make a pair on the 2nd card its jack-to-ace high)

On the 3rd round if the hand is made (straight or flush or pair) its generally always overbet, (often called by hesitant ace-high or low pair assuming I've bust and buying the pot) if re-raised I normally fold the pairs, always call with the straights, and consider the flushes value :/