PDA

View Full Version : wild card question

12-09-2001, 10:17 PM
I was playing in a home game with some friends that I had never played with before and this situation came up a few hours in. We play Dealer's Choice, and inevitbly, one guys feels the need to play 7-card stud (8's and 9's are wild). At the showdown, the 2 remaining players turn over Royal Flushes.

Player 1: Ac, 8h, 9s, Jc, 10c

Player 2: 9d, Ks, Qs, Js, 9h

The way I saw it, it should have been a chopped pot... but a few of the players insisted that since Player 1 had the highest natural card (Ac) that the pot was his. (one said that the player's highest natural card was as high as his hand could be...meaning Player 2 actually had a K-high straight flush).

What's the consensus out there? Are these 2 the same hand? Or is this an example of a rule variation that we should make clear to players a the beginning of the night. In this case, it was about a $120 pot, and wanting to keep the game friendly, the guy with Ac decided to split the pot.

12-10-2001, 01:04 AM
I think that the second guy has a King-high straight flush, but I have played in games where it is an Ace-high straight flush, and therefore a chop. It is absolutely imperative that you are in agreement about how wild cards are treated before you start. I prefer to keep things simple by not allowing wild card games. /images/smile.gif

12-10-2001, 01:27 AM
how do you define wild card?

most people define it by saying it can be any card you want. then they both have a royal.

the arguments over who has the highest natural card or "most natural" hand should be solved by stating the rules before playing.

IMHO though, those types of rules suck, and this pot should be split.

12-10-2001, 03:40 AM
If you are going to call a wild card a 'wild card' then it has to be able to be any card. Ive had many similar situations, the way we do it is the more natural the hand is the better, (ie fewest wild cards used to make hand) But in this case both hands are equal so I reckon it should be a split pot.

If the wild card can't be an ace then it ain't a wild card, thats my opinion anyway.

Its good to make these rules clear at the end of the night as well. Also five of a Kinds, where do they fit in? that always seems to be a problem.