PDA

View Full Version : Guidelines for stealing blinds late in SNGs

ericlambi
12-17-2004, 04:38 PM
Hi folks,

2nd post in about 10minutes, but . . . I'm wondering if there is any posts or other readings people would point out to me in terms of guidelines for stealing blinds late in the tournaments. What hands to try this with seems to be a critical decision late in the tourney, especially if you are short stacked. If there are no good posts already (I did a search and did not see a general topic on this already), I'd like to start one here. I'm playing $50/5, but I think the document recently posted for the $10/1 strategy is a good one. This is what it says:

Level 5 & Later:
--On button, aim to steal about 25% of blinds with hands like A7s-A9s, KTs-KJs.

Here are some of my questions:

How does your chip stack and the chip stack of the blinds affect your decision to steal?

If every other blind is getting folded around uncontested, do you loosen up these standards, start trying to steal the blinds from earlier positions, or both? None of the above?

Do you tighten up on the bubble, or do you take advantage of the fact that others are also tightening up and try and steal more?

If you are attempting a steal with, e.g. T9s, which looks to be an ill-advised play according to the guidelines (I've only now just read them), with the blinds at 200+, you may have to donate a very large portion of your stack to make the steal. What do you do if you get re-raised and are getting 2-1 to call the re-raise? You can fold and have 3 orbits worth of BB, Call and have ~1, or go all-in. Other than factoring in how the player has acted in the game thus far, how do you make this decision?

El Maximo
12-17-2004, 05:36 PM
This is a really in depth topic. There are so many factors that make up a decision to steal or not and Im am no expert on any of them. I had the same questions about blind stealing when I wanted to improve my aggression. Some of the factors I look at when making a steal are:

My stack
Blind Stacks
# Players left
Stack sizes of all players
Limpers or not
Range of calling hands of blinds and or limpers
How my hand fairs against this calling range
My image at the table

I know this seems like a lot of factors to calculate in a mere 5-10 seconds. I think experience and reading the post and understanding why they say push, fold, ect. I use to read a post and the replies would be "PUSH!". But I didnt understand how they came to these conclusions. I did alot of forum searching and discussion on stealing blinds until I better understood the thier reasoning behind it. PM me if you want some old post Ive kept and filed. I can send you some info that may help get you started. I would link it but I cant find the old link right now.

ericlambi
12-17-2004, 05:42 PM
I don't know what PM means, but I'd be appreciative if you could e-mail me those posts: erlambi@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Eric

Sidekick
12-17-2004, 05:45 PM
PM is your Private Message box here at this site. If you click on 'My Home' you can see any PMs that have been sent to you.

syka16
12-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Great post.

I try to get an idea of how the players to my left have been reacting to raises in the blinds. Tipically, to steal with T9s, I'd have to have a tight table image, the blinds cannot have a large or short stack, and I'm pretty sure the they will fold to a 1/2 pot bet on the flop if they don't hit. If all those conditions are met, I sometimes lower my stealing standards.