PDA

View Full Version : Queens on the first hand -- fold or push preflop?

jcm4ccc
12-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Pokerstars $6 + $.50 Turbo. Blinds 15/30. Everybody has a medium stack.

I am dealt QQ in the BB. One person bets 150. Another person raises to 250 total. What do I do?

I didn't want to fold because that seemed weak. I could have called and pushed the flop if no overcards came. However, that meant that I was worried about AK. If I knew that my opponent had AK, I would push preflop and live with the results.

Anyway I pushed preflop and was beaten by Aces (the original bettor called with a pair of 9s).

What should I have done?

ThorGoT
12-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Do you prefer a race against AK, where you are a 60/40 favorite, or do you prefer to push on a non-A/K flop, where AK has only two cards left -- not five -- to improve his hand?

syka16
12-17-2004, 05:01 PM
QQ against a raise-reraise is a tough situation. I don't like to gamble early on as a rule. Chances are good you;ll have another chance to double up before level IV. Even if you don't, you're still hanging on with 6 players left.

With QQ, you're really only safe against JJ- AQ- and I don't think the odds are good enough that you're getting a reraise with those hands even at low buyins. So if it's my turn to act in the BB and the bet is less than 1/3 my stack, I'd call and push with no overs. you havn't had a chance to pick up a read on the reraiser. Level II, if he has reraised once before I'd lean towards pushing preflop... if he's reraised twice already that's an easier push.

ChrisV
12-17-2004, 08:19 PM
I would have folded preflop. I'm honestly not resulting here, that was my gut reaction before I read what he had. The mini reraise stinks of a huge hand. Pushing preflop has very little equity. Calling and waiting for a non A non K flop means you lose to JJ and TT on those flops. QQ is just not that great a hand here.

El Maximo
12-18-2004, 11:10 AM
At the lower limits I push QQ everytime. I do get beat by the occasional AA or KK but the majority of times I see Axs or smaller pockets. I just wont give these WPT players credit for a big hand. Maybe this is a leak in my game but I put my chips in play and either double up or start another SnG. I think at a higher buy-in level or with better reads on the villians you could fold this. So far Im making money on my QQ when pushed preflop in levels 1-3 even with running into monsters and the occasional suckouts.