PDA

View Full Version : Always lost in situations like these

Bukem_
12-17-2004, 04:11 PM
first hand at table, so no reads. Even with reads I would be likely to have trouble with this hand for the turn play.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG(I'm really BB) with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif. Hero posts a blind of $5.
CO calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">sb bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, sb calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
sb checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, sb folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Edit: think I fixed the converter errors.

MrFeelNothin
12-17-2004, 04:41 PM
I don't see how folding the turn could be right here getting 7-1 odds with a pair and a gutshot. It is true that none of your outs are to the nuts and should probably be discounted slightly, especially the 9s, but still, 7-1 is enough. I don't think you are ahead often here and I think I could fold the river so I would be treating this strictly as a draw. If he was aggro and I thought he could be pushing 66 or A6, then I might have to pay off, in which case your odds on the draw are 4-1, but that's irrelevant because the read is you are ahead enough to offset that. I like the flop raise.

Bukem_
12-17-2004, 08:11 PM
If calling is correct here, is it a easy or borderline fold on the river if unimproved?

I hate this situation even more if I am vs. someone who will autobet the river when shown weakness. Is it better to drop the hand on the turn vs a player like this, and call vs a player who might check the river if his overcards don't hit?

Alobar
12-17-2004, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how folding the turn could be right here getting 7-1 odds with a pair and a gutshot. It is true that none of your outs are to the nuts and should probably be discounted slightly, especially the 9s, but still, 7-1 is enough. I don't think you are ahead often here and I think I could fold the river so I would be treating this strictly as a draw. If he was aggro and I thought he could be pushing 66 or A6, then I might have to pay off, in which case your odds on the draw are 4-1, but that's irrelevant because the read is you are ahead enough to offset that. I like the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what he said

naphand
12-18-2004, 06:19 AM
This raise with 9 outs to improve and a pair, is enough for value alone and with the board pretty co-ordinated your hand is vulnerable to a lot of cards. You want overcards out. Raise looks good.

The problem with your draw on the Turn is that you may well be playing to a split, or will lose to a hand like T9 or redraw like 78 filling up. It will be a 4-straight board, which is a significant discount. In your favour it is rainbow.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it better to drop the hand on the turn vs a player like this

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
first hand at table, so no reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what do you mean by "against a player like this?". You have a read after 2 streets against him?

[ QUOTE ]
It is true that none of your outs are to the nuts and should probably be discounted slightly

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not use the word "probably" or "slightly" here, "definitely" is more appropriate. The fact that you are not drawing to the nuts and to a 4-straight is cause for more concern. I am not sure what to put CO on here but 98s, T9, 78, 76, 66/55, A8/7/6 are all very possible, most of which mean a substantial discount for your outs.