PDA

View Full Version : 99 in the BB -- What's your move?

ericlambi
12-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Hello folks,

Was playing a $50/5 SNG on PP last night. The blinds were up to the $200/100. I was dealt 99 in the BB, and had 900 chips left after posting. There was one limper from either MP1 or UTG+1, not sure. SB did not complete. We still had at least 5 players left in the tourney. What's your move here?

I pushed and got called by AA. I was covered and out of the tourney like that. I've been trying to think if there was anyway around this. I'm not going to check 99, a meaningful raise leaves me with only about 500 chips. I guess I could have raised to 600 total to see what happens, but given the range of hands people will go all-in with in this situation, I feel like I almost have to call my last 500 when I am re-raised. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Eric

zephyr
12-17-2004, 04:15 PM
If your opponent didn't have AA I don't think you'd be posting. I can't see any reason to play this hand any differently.

Zephyr

CardMinger
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
I think your push here in your position & stack size is definately +EV. Just be prepared to run into a monster or be in a coin flip situation every now and then.

ColdestCall
12-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Push all the time - get unlucky like this once in a while.

rachelwxm
12-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Unless u NEVER see that guy limp... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

hurlyburly
12-17-2004, 04:37 PM
I'd have seen the flop, and pushed on any 3 unders or made set. Still woulda lost here, but I think there is more +EV that way in the long-term.

With 3 players instead of 5 this is a PF push 100% of the time.

ericlambi
12-17-2004, 04:45 PM
I realized the play is not incredibly terrible, but it is very odd for anyone to limp from early position at this stage in the tournament. If I assumed every time I was faced with this situation that the limper had a monster, how often would I be correct? 10%, 25%, 50%, 75%?

I'm just looking for ways to avoid putting all my chips in with the worst hand without playing weak-tight. I really hate it when that happens.

Does anyone think re-raising min for info and folding to an all-in bet is a good play in this situation? If I get smooth called, I am probably toast, but it gives me a fighting chance.

Paragon
12-17-2004, 05:21 PM
I have yet to play $50's so you may want to take this advice with a grain of salt. At least in the $30's and below, I find EP limps are more frequently drawing hands or weak aces. People seem to represent big pairs more frequently than having them. For that reason, I push 99 here and probably even hope for a showdown. Again, this is considering I see a lot of morons feeling obligated to call allin with A6 for their entire stack /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Every so often on the bubble you'll see a shortstack mysteriously limp for 30% of his chips or something equally weird. That's the only time that really worries me about AA... Your mileage may vary though.

You always should keep it in the back of your mind, but it's important not to be too weak/tight about it. If you were on the bubble with a severe shortstack, that would be a time where discretion would be the better part of valor.