PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me...

skoal2k4
12-17-2004, 03:18 PM
After reading the posts on here for a bit, I realize that i'll probably get lit up on this one, but here goes...

I started out playing pokerstars. I liked the interface and the speed of the game. Plus there didn't seem to be many problems with the software. I would read the chat and notice how most people referred to it as "riverstars". At first, I didn't really pay much attention to it and wrote it off as frustration. The more I played, the more I noticed how this seemed to be true. It might be that I just remember the beats more than the wins or that all those people put that idea in my head. Normally, I wouldn't think of getting beat on the river once in awhile as a bad thing... after all, it's poker and you'll have that. You should win most of the time if it takes a miracle card for people to beat you. It just seems like pokerstars "rewards" bad play with miracle cards. Obviously I'm wrong in this... just kind of hard to dismiss it once you see it time and time again. Don't get me wrong, I like stars for their software and tournament action. I just haven't seen these types of consistant beats on party or paradise.

Feel free to bash away... I'll get you started .. blah blah you're just a horrible player... blah blah read a book... blah blah play lower limits. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, those are my ramblings for the day /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thythe
12-17-2004, 03:20 PM
what is the point of this post?

zuluking
12-17-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is the point of this post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!

Nekura
12-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Bad players hold on to crap until the river and are therefore more likely to get rewarded on the river. You are playing smart and are only on the river with a playable hand, but are getting sucked out by someone who needed a "Hail Mary" and got one.

In the long run, you will do better overall no matter how much it hurts getting hammered by a lucky fish.

Edit - Unless, of course, if you're the unlucky fish. If that's the case, please post your screen name and when/where you typically play. Thanks!

skoal2k4
12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Just venting... I know that it's great to play against people that chase... just having a crappy run of cards lately.

chesspain
12-17-2004, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just venting... I know that it's great to play against people that chase... just having a crappy run of cards lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that whining about your losing and talking crap about rigged deals is going to help you play better?

CountDuckula
12-17-2004, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It happens, and when it does, venting is understandable. You just have to keep your eye on the long run, and not worry about individual hands. There will be times when it seems as if everything that possibly could go wrong does; you flop a set, only to have some bozo catch a runner-runner flush or straight (having called your bets & raises all the way with 72, because it was soooooted). When you get a boat, someone else gets quads. You get quads, someone else gets a straight flush. Sometimes you feel as if a Royal isn't enough! But this too shall pass; keep telling yourself that, and stay the course.

Analyze your play. Get PokerTracker (if you haven't already), and review your hands. Pat yourself on the back every time you played a hand correctly, even though you lost. Whack yourself upside the head every time you played one incorrectly, win or lose. Eventually, variance will decide to be your friend, and you'll be making back your losses and then some.

I have tilt issues, myself; I'll get sucked out on one too many times, and start playing things like Qxs or two-gap suited connectors, or refuse to respect raises even if I don't have that great a hand. The trick is catching myself before I bleed away my bankroll. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Mike

Yobz
12-17-2004, 05:27 PM
Posts like these always seem to concentrate on the river. People say "how can they always hit on the river"
Sorry to say, but if fish dont hit on the flop and they are going to hit at all, they have 1/2 chance of hitting on turn and a 1/2 chance of hitting on the river. would you rather them hit on the turn...the river does constitute 1/5th of the board and generally only 3 of those cards will be in play, so 1/3rd of the playing board...
Whatever, reverse rant

skoal2k4
12-17-2004, 06:29 PM
Yes... because while I'm doing that (whining and complaining) I'm not playing. It gives me a chance to calm down while at the same time recieving some encouraging, rather than discouraging replys... I realize there's ups and downs, after all, it's poker. Now that i've had time to calm down, I realize this was quite possibly the dumbest post I could've written. But better for me to write a post like this than to lose more money playing stupidly.

Rah
12-17-2004, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It just seems like pokerstars "rewards" bad play with miracle cards. Obviously I'm wrong in this... just kind of hard to dismiss it once you see it time and time again.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you know you are wrong, and know that you will be bashed, why take up the forums space?
I love how these posts go "I know I'm wrong, *but*..."