PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for having bad days

winky51
12-17-2004, 02:46 PM
In 5 weeks I have finally had my 1st bad beat days.

From 6-8% win pots to 4% win pots, from 17.5% see flop to 14% see flop. Overabundace of 5 outer bad beats and poor hands.

I got my 3 bad beat rule. You get 3 bad beats at a table or from a particular player i switch tables. Some of you might think its dumb but its more from a psychological reasons.

One jackass has your # and he keeps getting tricker because hes getting lucky. Why deal with a player who has become unpredictable and might put you on tilt. 2 mistakes an hour for a BB bet is a lot. So i leave.

Now my added rule is 3 days of bad beats I take a day off. Just to relax the brain.

No matter what i think after 3 days of bad beats and unlucky sessions anyone can go tilty.

I started again today and my 1st 4 flops I got with a good hand got bad beated with a 2, 4, 4, and 5 outer. Very frustrating. Still working my way back up.

---------

Any other thougts or ideas?

What do you do to remove the tiltiness?

MisterNatural
12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Yeah, what else can you do? Take a break and come back fresh. Get out and socialize and forget about poker for awhile. If you're still inclined to play, you can go down in limit. You can also try learning another game or play some tournaments or no limit. I've found that changing the type of game you play brings new skills to your favorite. You might even find something you like better.

Make sure you weren't just running bad, post some of your losers and see if someone here can pick up one of your leaks. Maybe some of those hands are considered easy folds on the flop or turn for some reason you hadn't realized, etc. Remember, it takes a lifetime to master, blah blah blah.

bisonbison
12-17-2004, 03:25 PM
You'll have an easier time dealing with the variance when you accept that there's no such thing as a bad beat.

Moderate your expectations of winning, and you won't be disappointed by losing.

Chaos_ult
12-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Bison, you are a true poker sage if there ever was one /images/graemlins/smile.gif

/brownnose

bisonbison
12-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Confucius say: Man who focuses on bad beats, focuses bad beats on him!

Folding Pete
12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
All good advice. If it's in the middle of a session, take a break - have something to eat etc...

After a session I find it helpful to go over my cumulative ytd results. Look at the $ you have won so far. Look at how you have bad days and how they are well out-numbered by the brilliant days.

See how one bad session or bad week is just part of the background noise. This restores my mood and confidence somewhat.

Always be folding

Folding Pete

winky51
12-17-2004, 04:05 PM
All the responces are good. I like the one about doing another game. Changing how your brain is calculating stuff makes sense. Doing something else alters where those synapses are firing instead of keeping it in that rut (spelled right?).

About the bad beats. Yes is it all part of the big cosmic luck factor and through your life it does not matter. Thats why I always review my day. if I see just bad luck hey what can I do. BUT, it is true that having days like these makes you make mistakes. All it takes is a 2 BB loss an hour to screw up your game.

Thus my 3 bad beat rule.

Thanks people.

Mr. Graff
12-17-2004, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got my 3 bad beat rule. You get 3 bad beats at a table or from a particular player i switch tables. Some of you might think its dumb but its more from a psychological reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]
No matter what the experts say if you respond to it in a good way, it is smart, not dumb. I think I might start applying that 3 bad beat rule because I tend to be slightly more focussed on getting my money back from that guy giving me beats... and sometimes I think my decisions become a little poorer because of it. Thanks for the tip /images/graemlins/smile.gif

J.R.
12-17-2004, 05:38 PM
Play 8 tables. You won't have time to reflect upon, focus on and get frustrated by bad beats. You probably won't even know if you are winning or losing. You'll just be playing poker (well, a bastard variant of it), relatively emotion free.

Either way, regardless of how many tables, just play, make good decisions and don't get tied up in your results. You friends, family and body will appreciate- life's too short to sweat bad beats. I can't tell you how to do it, you just have to do it. Chill, it will be alright. Maybe you could play some 6-max for a while to gain some perspective. It also helps to be mad overbankrolled so finacial stress stay out of the equation.

How comfortable are you with your game? When I was begining I often looked for an excuse for poor results, and this excuse most commonly ended up being my opponents alleged fishy play when in fact my poor results were due to my own shortcommings. Man up if that's the case.

Openly consider whether you have anger/frustration issues in other parts of your life as well that you might need to address. The best thing poker has done for me, even more so than the financial rewards, is the level of emotional stability and self-control it has helped me to develop. I do have a long way to go, because as with any other skill, it takes time, effort and hard work to develop.