PDA

View Full Version : McSucker's return!

Guy McSucker
12-17-2004, 12:56 PM
For those who are following my adventures...

After five days or so of reviewing hands and playing sit-and-gos, I felt ready to play some more of the $5/10 6-max today. I played about 800 hands.

It did not go well.

I'm now down 170BBs total. At my high point I was up 130BBs. Does this 300BB downswing mean I am officially allowed to complain?

I think it is more likely to mean that I suck.

Thanks again to everyone who encouraged me to stick at the game and believed that I could win at it. I am going to prove you wrong! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guy.

bunky9590
12-17-2004, 01:05 PM
Welcome back to the Aquarium, have a nice day. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Too bad they don't allow sklansky bucks for tourney buy ins on Party.

On a good note, My downswing went from -150 and is now -68BB or so. So, keep your chin up, its easier to clock you that way. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

spider
12-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Have you tried just forgetting about poker completely for a couple weeks? Or (gasp!) even longer than that?

This may not apply to you, but I just went through my first significant losing streak -- which was largely burnout induced. During the streak I don't think I played that bad, but I was clearly not dealing with losses very well in an emotional sense (whining/berating/etc into the chat box).

Trying to play through it, or just play less, was not helping. I really just had to take some time off. And I didn't even put a time limit on it. I just stopped playing indefinitely with the idea that I would play again when I felt like it. And when I felt like playing again, I played fine.

So this may not apply to you, but I suspect it might. Just one guy's experience FWIW.

Jeff W
12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the 300 BB downswing club.

Are you a professional? If you don't need the income, consider taking some time off from poker until you have your head right and are ready to win again.

wahooriver
12-17-2004, 03:17 PM
A modest recommendation.

Play some 3/6 5 max on Paradise. I find this game is great preparation for 5/10 6 max.

The monetary risk is a bit less. I like switching sites.

When I have a slump on Party, I close down and move to Paradise. The converse holds also.

I think the Paradise 3/6 is a great opportunity for developing skills.

aflaba
12-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Yupp, I haven't been around for long. But I too would advise you to take some time off if it is possible.

During this time you can

*recoup mentally/rest.

*analyze the weakest parts of you play and try to improve them theoreticaly.

*look through the hands you have played and look for situations where you think you should have played differently. Analize your play.

This is what I have done after somewhat of a initial downswing whre I felt I played pretty badly. I took about two weeks off where I played hup and really short handed at some other sites at lower stakes. Now I'm back and I feel like I'm more comfortable mentally and I'm playing better. I hope it turns around for you.

Even if you have only been dealt bad cards I still think a pause might be positive for you. At least I know it is for me when I get in the situation and mindset you are in now.

MrFeelNothin
12-17-2004, 04:45 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't we already advise Guy to take a break and analyze his play/recoup, hence the title of the thread? I agree with the suggestion of trying out the Paradise 3/6 6max. I have no doubt from reading your posts that you can beat the 5/10 but maybe you have to believe it yourself first. The 3/6 at paradise sounds like a nice confidence booster. Good luck.

Guy McSucker
12-17-2004, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't we already advise Guy to take a break and analyze his play/recoup

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, not quite... I stated my intention to quit the game, and everyone told me to hang in there... but that's what you do say when the fish wants to get up, isn't it? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A few people now have recommended the Paradise 5-max. Why's that preferable to the Stars $3/6 6-max, for instance? I have a proven winning record in the Stars game, and minor aesthetic issues with the Paradise client, but if there are good reasons to try the Paradise game I will.

Cheers,

Guy.

Alobar
12-17-2004, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At my high point I was up 130BBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously this is the problem. You should have just quit when you were up 130BB!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

seriosuly tho, man that sucks. I really hope you pull it out and start winning. I definately think you can. GL

LA_Price
12-17-2004, 09:12 PM
I would offer $100 and try taking 500 hands and seeing if one of the better 6-max players would be willing to take a look and comment on some of your play. I've only been playing the game for a little bit and have been doing quite well but I know short term results don't mean much in this game.

helpmeout
12-17-2004, 10:17 PM
I'd just go to 3/6 full games on party. Have a break from 6max.

Start reading a bunch of books.

fsuplayer
12-18-2004, 01:29 AM
i feel for ya sucker.

i am still in a 330BB downswing in the 10/20 6 max.

still in it bc i switched games towards the end of it /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

lucky for me i won 110BB in the morning of the day my streak began, so financially it wasnt quite that bad.

best of luck to you.

fsuplayer