PDA

View Full Version : Is my style right for tournements

08-31-2002, 03:24 PM
HI,

I've been going in lots of pot and no-limit holdem tournements over the last couple of months. I'm fairly new to tournements.

I try to create the image that I am a total rock and to some extent it seems to work I am usually turning over the best cards when it comes to the show down. My tight image also allows my to steal a few blinds and may a few good bluffs when the good cards stop comming.

Anyway I'm not having much success. Overall I'm ahead money wise because out of 13 tourneys I've made the final table twice and got one first place. The thing which worries me is that both times I got to the last table it was from me giving somebody else a massively lucky bad beat when they very skillfully outplayed me. They rest of my plays were pretty good but it was these out draws which allowed my to obtain a massive stack and make it to the final table.

The other eleven times things all went very in a very similar way. I played fairly tight aggressive, stole a few blinds, caught a few people out and built my stack up a little. Because of my raises and check raises I was almost always heads up at the end so I never managed to scoop any big multiway pots. Meanwhile the loose guys at the table are hammering away at each other with junk and rebuying like mad men while i'm passing lots of hands. So when the buy in ended I was usually the second or third smallest stack at the table with the chip leader almost always being some loose guy who had made couple of mirracle hands on the river. It might have taken him four rebuys but eventually from hammering away someing came up for him.

With most peoples stacks at least double mine I'm now at a hugh disadvantage. The others get several shots at me and I only get one shot at them. Even with me taking up better cards and always having an edge I needed to win several times in a row and this never happened.

Is my style of play all wrong ?(These were all ulimited re-buy tournements). Should I participate more in the crap shoot at the start to try and build a big stack and then go back to my normal style when the rebuys end. It will cost me more money in rebuys but mabey i'll make it to more finals ?

And commens or advice for me ?

08-31-2002, 05:27 PM
> Anyway I'm not having much success. Overall I'm ahead money wise

If you are ahead, you did have success, by definition. But you would need to play at least 50 tourneys to even make an elaborated guess as to whether you are a winning player or not, and many more for any serious assessment.

> The thing which worries me is that both times I got to the last table it was from me giving somebody else a massively lucky bad beat

No matter how skillful you play, you simply cannot win a multi-table tourney without getting lucky and sometimes sucking out against a better hand.

> It will cost me more money in rebuys but mabey i'll make it to more finals?

It's not about the number of final tables, it's only about your winnings in relation to your investment. Assuming that your loose strategy would take you 4 rebuys. Do you really think that this one tourney will make you more than playing five tourneys with a no-rebuy policy?

cu

Ignatius