PDA

View Full Version : How Could I Have Played This Better?

BruceF
12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
I need some help understanding how I could have played this situation better:

Later stages in a tourney (3 tables and 21 players left). I'm on the button with about 6,700 chips. Chip leader is at my table at the BB with about 18,000+ chips. I'm not short-stacked, but I'm getting low. Blinds are 150-200 with a 50 ante.

I'm dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif . Middle player limps, I bet 1000, BB calls, middle player folds. So I'm heads up with position. BB is a player that plays aggressively when he has a hand, occasionally bluffs. When he called, I had him for A or K rag.

Flop comes J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif . Looks good for me - flush draw and an overcard. BB checks, I bet 2000 to try and get him out. I'm hoping he puts me on AA KK or QQ and will fold. Instead, he calls all-in!

We turn our cards over and he has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif . A pair of 8s and an overcard! I'm thinking that I have 12 outs to beat him (about 3:1 dog), I'm already pot committed (1/2 my stack is in the pot) and at this point in the tourney, it's time to make a stand. I go all in and miss on turn and river and get knocked out.

Question - did I play this hand right? If not, what could I have done differently? As background, I'm a limit player who is just starting playing tourneys and have adjusted my play accordingly for NL. Any help is appreciated!