PDA

View Full Version : When to Gamble?

El Maximo
12-17-2004, 09:25 AM
I've done alot of number crunching lately. I ran calcs of Push EV of various hands against several different calling hand ranges. Ive done this for pushing from the SB and Button with 5-10BB. Ive also crunched numbers from calling all-ins from the big blind against a variety of raising hand ranges. Now that I have all this data I can see that there are alot of +EV opportunities. Some pushes are high EV and some are borderline EV. There is also alot of other info that needs to be taken into account. Stack sizes, looseness-tightness of blinds, number of players left, ect, ect. When are you gambling and putting your chips in play with a very marginal push or call? My play has been to increase the hands Ill push with as my stack goes down from 10BB to 5BB. Obviously I would adjust my push range of hands to the stack sizes of the blinds. At less than 5BB I am waiting for a good hand to double up but I am also more willing to defend my blinds and hope to double up. Is my general strategic thinking on par with others. I seem to disagree with some of the push recommendations I have been reading lately. I seem to be more aggressive than most at the 5BB range and I am more willing to call an all-in from the blind when below 5BB. Or is using 5BB not taking into account the size of the blinds. At 150/300 blinds and 5BB I have almost 20% of the chips in the 10-30s.