PDA

View Full Version : First post

pumbah
12-17-2004, 06:31 AM
Long time lurker having a bad run for over a month. Hands like this one have been killing me. Would like to know if i should have done anything different, or if i should not have been involved in the first place
The other player has been very aggressive.
The co had ace queen and sent me packin /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls $7 (All-In), CO calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

brassnuts
12-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Against a LAG, I like it a lot.

Ugly river. Nice play.

Edit: Is that you all in here on the turn? If so, you really need to play with more money on the table. Even though I'm yet to play a hand that is actually capped on all streets, I try to always have enough to do so, if the situation arises.

phy1234
12-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Played hand fine. Unlucky river. Welcome to the forum.

Phy1234

MarkL444
12-17-2004, 06:52 AM
theres no excuse to have that little money on the table. you dont want to be going all in with the nuts in limit poker.

steamboatin
12-17-2004, 07:16 AM
I am often short stacked in a limit game if I have experienced a bad session. I start with twice the minimum buyin and when that is gone, I don't rebuy unless the game is incredibly soft and I am sure that I am playing my A game.

He said he has been on a losing streak, does he just keep rebuying and losing until he is dead broke?

We don't have enough information. If he is buying in at the minimum, He doesn't have enough chips to work with. I start with twice the minimum and sometimes, I get pretty close to the felt before I drag a decent pot. Sometimes, I bust out so I go find a softer table.

eagletmr
12-17-2004, 07:20 AM
His losing streak doesn't have anything to do with it, poker hands are random and independent. If he is good enough to beat tthe game, he should buy in for 150 (at 3/6) and rebuy when he is below 72, in case it is capped all the way. If he isn't better than his competition, he should leave no matter how much money he has. Period. You should never be all-in in limit poker.

Hoss1193
12-17-2004, 07:22 AM
1. No problem overall with the play here. You simply got rivered, by a loose player. Only thing I might have differently was raise him on the flop; you had top pair with a decent kicker. Probably wouldn't have made much difference with this guy, given the way he played on the turn. But you MIGHT have made him think about it. Bottom line; keep playing with this guy...you're going to take $$$ from him in long run.

2. Concur with other posters; not enough money on the table. As a matter of fact, I suspect your short stack may have encouraged the villain to come so aggressively at you.

DeeJ
12-17-2004, 07:54 AM
Raise the flop. Bring enough cash to the table.

I get angry with myself when I suffer a few beats, get left with a 6 or 7 BB stack and then find myself dollars short after a capped turn and winning hand on the river. Leaving dollars on the table. Actually I think the last couple of times I did this I saved myself $ because I lost /images/graemlins/wink.gif but that's not an excuse.

DeeJ
12-17-2004, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As a matter of fact, I suspect your short stack may have encouraged the villain to come so aggressively at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this could be used to ones advantage!

ghostface
12-17-2004, 09:05 AM
I would definitely c/r the flop to find out where I am. The of course no raise on the turn if he bets into you again and probly a crying call on the river.

runa
12-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Welcome to the forum. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think I would like this play more if you had an overpair as opposed to TP ok kicker. I prefer to CR the flop in these situations. If your opponent does have a valid hand then getting 3-bet on the turn is alot more money than I planned on putting in for a marginal holding. If he is bluffing let him keep doing it and just call down.

Also try to withhold results on your next post until the discussion has ended.

JoshuaD
12-17-2004, 02:47 PM
I also would have check-raised or just bet that flop. I don't like check/call with TP just because you were raised preflop.

ErrantNight
12-17-2004, 02:54 PM
what up pumbah, welcome a board.

few things...

1) don't post results... it'll mess up your responses (check out the sticky up top of this board for more)

2) don't bring that little money to the table. always have enough to cap each street... unlikely, sure, but you should never have less than that

3) if you're taking bad beats, and you're down this low, that could mean just getting out... but you played this one ok. the fact that your opponent COULD put you all in, and may have suspected you were chip spewing may have altered the way he played you. also, if you were losing a lot of money, quickly, players tend to change their play against you. be careful in these spots.

3) i think you played the hand fine, although i'd consider raising the flop and betting the turn.

ErrantNight
12-17-2004, 02:55 PM
short stacked is one thing. short stacked enough to be put all-in is another. you don't want players getting tricky or changing their play against you when you can't charge them for it.

MoreWineII
12-17-2004, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what up pumbah, welcome a board.

few things...

1) don't post results... it'll mess up your responses (check out the sticky up top of this board for more)

2) don't bring that little money to the table. always have enough to cap each street... unlikely, sure, but you should never have less than that

3) if you're taking bad beats, and you're down this low, that could mean just getting out... but you played this one ok. the fact that your opponent COULD put you all in, and may have suspected you were chip spewing may have altered the way he played you. also, if you were losing a lot of money, quickly, players tend to change their play against you. be careful in these spots.

3) i think you played the hand fine, although i'd consider raising the flop and betting the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much agree with all of what Errant said. Being all-in is just bad, if you don't have an adequate bankroll to handle these downswings, then you should move to a lower limit. I learned this the hard way @ 5/10. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The Goober
12-17-2004, 03:55 PM
So no one has a problem with the pre-flop call? Honestly, I would probably make the call as well, but then regret it. Even if the cutoff has just one overcard to your J, then you are a slight dog, or you could be a huge dog to two overcards (as turned out to be the case here). Since he seems agressive enough to not let go of something like K high, it seems like you are going to need to have a better hand to win this pot and I'd be more comfortable calling him with something I could show down unimproved - something with an A or K in it.

Is there a flaw in my thinking?

pumbah
12-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. As far as my stack I agree with everyone that i should have had more chips on the table.

ErrantNight
12-17-2004, 04:26 PM
against a probable steal raise this blind defense is kosher.

he could have you dominated, with something like AK or AQ (or any of the big pocket pairs), or you could be a slight dog to a medium or low pocket pair, or you could be about even to A-K-Q/x.

the more aggressive CO is, particularly in his steals, the easier this call is. if CO isn't known for raising, or doesn't steal... I think it's close.

The Goober
12-17-2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I guess its not so bad to be 50-50 since you are getting 3-1 on your call. So do you just check-fold if you miss the flop? This is the part that I don't like, because I know that an agressive player will bet virtually any flop and probably raise if I bet, regardless of whether he hit or not. I feel like if I can't play back at him or snap off a bluff (by calling down with a high card) when I miss the flop - which I will most of the time - then why get involved in the first place?

But maybe the answer is simply that 3-1 gives me enough pot odds to see the flop and fold if I miss?