PDA

View Full Version : How to play flopped quads

bweiser8311962
12-17-2004, 06:29 AM
Pocket 3s ... early position so i make a small raise at a no-limit 2/4 table. ... flop comes 3/3/8 ... someone bets. i call. ... another bet on the turn, i call. ... another bet on the river. i go all-in, guy folds. ... did i push too hard? should i have pushed sooner? obviously, i'd have loved to double up here. but wound up winning only $25 or so.

how do you play this?

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-17-2004, 06:55 AM
When you flop quads, how much you win has very little to do with how you play the hand and almost everything to do with how much of the board your opponent catches.

In your case, you don't say what the turn and river cards were and you don't indicate suits, so there's no baseline for understanding what your opponent may have put you on.

shad
12-17-2004, 10:52 AM
If you were holding the nuts I would say that you played it fine. You can easily let those turn and river cards come and hope that your opponent catches something and decides to play it out.

Big Country
12-17-2004, 01:49 PM
I think Kurn summed it up in that the amount won is more determined by what your opponents catch than how you play it.

On the river, you may have been able to extract a bit more by not pushing (you don't say howmuch you had when you pushed) but by raising an amount you thnk will get called, as you are not afraid of going to a showdown.

slickterp
12-17-2004, 02:42 PM
i agree, bet what you think he will call or see as a lame attempt to steal.

Cleveland Guy
12-17-2004, 03:57 PM
You didn't list the bet sizes here, but sometimes I like to raise the turn here.

If the flop came 338 - with one spade. Then the turn is a 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif - I might put it a turn raise, representing a hand like A8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif or A Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif. or T9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I would make the raise small -as giving him odds to hit.

The advantage to this play - if the river card is a blank, he will often go for a check/raise.

The disadvanttage- another scare card comes on the river, and your opponent shuts down. Or he was on a total bluff and folds to your turn raise.

Either way - I like the first raise to be a small one.giving him odds to either call you or re-raise you, cause in reality, what are you afraid of?

Be it the turn or the river - raise to keep him in the pot, not shut him out.

Hedge Henderson
12-17-2004, 07:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When you flop quads, how much you win has very little to do with how you play the hand and almost everything to do with how much of the board your opponent catches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mostly. How stupid your opponents are has some impact as well, though you'll find fewer at 1/2 NL than you will at the limits I play.

Here's an example of both ways to make money from quads. Gratuitous, but I had to post it. It broke a 50BB downswing and made me very happy. I figure UTG+1 had big cards but WTF was button thinking?

Paradise Poker 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.05.
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (17.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 30.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7d 7c (four of a kind, sevens).
MP1 has 6s 6h (full house, sixes full of sevens).
Button has Tc 3s (two pair, sevens and threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 30.50 BB. </font>

lady4luck
12-18-2004, 11:06 AM
YOU SHOULD OF BET THE MINIMUM AMOUT THAT YOU THINK HE WOULD OF CALLED YOU WITH...JUST TO MAKE A FEW MORE $$$ AND MYB WOULD OF HELPED TO THROW THE GUY ON TILT IF HE CALLED YOU AND SEEN WHAT YOU HAD.

Hack
12-18-2004, 01:49 PM
My eyes. My eyes.

Please turn off the caps lock, lady4luck.

smoore
12-18-2004, 02:33 PM
This is a situation where you have to "sell" your hand for whatever you think you can get for it. When you're HU it's much harder than if you're multiway. Unless he thinks you're a river all-in bluffer then there's no way he's going to call a push there. I usually raise things like that on the turn also, but only the minimum (or a 3x) raise usually.