PDA

View Full Version : Mid Pair Plus Draw Do I Raise Flop and Turn bettor in multi way pot

lehighguy
12-17-2004, 04:15 AM
Hero is in BB with 10/images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
There are 5 of six seeing flop. No raises.

Flop: Jspades, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets. Hero calls. UTG calls. other fold.

Turn: 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB Bets, hero ???
I think I should have raised, I only called. I may in fact be ahead, it was too early to have a read on him and for some reason I thought he had a jack. Also, there was someone behind me. I think I should have raise cause I could have the best hand, i have a lot of outs, and maybe i can take the pot right there. But I didn't.

UTG calls

River: low unsuited rag

SB bets, hero folds (i know i should have called, i dont know why i thought he had a jack). UTG calls and wins with 9s, 8 kicker. Apparently playing 89 offsuit UTG is all the rage now. SB was bluffing with ace high the whole time, against a five way pot. Anyway, I know I [censored] this up but i just want to be sure.

Alobar
12-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Raise this preflop. With 5 people in the hand, youve got an easy value raise.

I dont raise the flop here, youve got a great draw, but more than likely the only way you are going to win this hand is if you hit your draw, so you want people around when do it. Also the sb betting into an entire field usually indicated a hand.

turn, ok, now things have changed a little bit. You now have some showdown value and you also have up to 17 outs. Raise here hoping to knock UTG out of the hand, and give yourself the free showdown unless you hit one of your outs.

MrFeelNothin
12-17-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently playing 89 offsuit UTG is all the rage now. SB was bluffing with ace high the whole time, against a five way pot. Anyway, I know I [censored] this up but i just want to be sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't blame your opponents for your bad play. I definitely don't raise flop as I don't want to knock people out, if it comes back to me raised I'll be 3betting/capping, but here you don't want to drive people out. On the turn I definitely enact Alobar's plan of raising to a. hopefully get UTG out, if not well youre probably behind but getting good value on your 14 outer b. my hand has showdown value so I'm calling river anyways I might as well put the two bets in here when I have chances to improve still. If I don't improve, check the river. This situation comes up fairly often. The way you played it, I'm definitely calling the river. And yes, of course you want them playing 89o UTG and bluffing Ahi so don't be one of those chat ridiculers! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bukem_
12-17-2004, 05:31 PM
Rasing the turn here is very good. One of those situations where you don't really care if they call of fold.

It's much more likely that you win this hand on the pair of 9s, opposed to the flush. Just cause you have a draw doesn't mean you should play it weakly.

tripdad
12-17-2004, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is an "easy value raise" as you say. please explain how you are getting value with such poor position, and against only 4 other opponents.

cheers!

Alobar
12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think this is an "easy value raise" as you say. please explain how you are getting value with such poor position, and against only 4 other opponents.

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think posistion matters as much in this situation with this hand. You are either going to flop something really good, or you aren't, both situations are easy to play. You've got 4 people besides you already in the pot, who are all going to call for one more bet. To me, with T9s its an easy raise.

lehighguy
12-18-2004, 01:05 AM
Yeah I screwed this up. I just switched from full ring 3/6, I haven't quite adjusted yet. I kept thinking he had a jack for some reason, that not the case in short handed 5/10. Oh well. I will try to learn from this, I realized what i was doing wrong right after the hand was over, too bad thats too late.