PDA

View Full Version : When an opponent shows UNEXPECTED strength...preflop

Big Limpin'
12-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Oh My !!! (blushes) /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif, this is kind of an embarassing HH to post (i get taken to school), (HERO is illa5th)
No-limit Texas Hold'em $30+$3 (real money),
hand #506,551,049
Visalia Single Table Tournament, 16 Dec 2004 07:55 PM
We are 5-handed. Blinds (75-150) are "pre-bubble" but we are, like I say, 5-handed, and i'm feeling a little frisky.
Seat 2: riverking730 ($2,940 in chips)
Seat 4: cdubbbb ($5,535 in chips)
Seat 6: xcheckraiswx ($2,560 in chips)
Seat 8: illa5th [AD,JS] ($1,685 in chips)
Seat 9: jibbidy ($2,280 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
xcheckraiswx posts blind ($75), illa5th posts blind ($150)
HERO is BB, and the pre-flop play is all folded to the binds. Oh boy. Blind vs. Blind, i have POSITION (BB) and have been fortunatie enough to be dealt AJo against a random hand. YAY!

Note: i havent been in much action this tourney (40-50 hands in), but the one person who is aware of my presence is the SB. I have raised from BB once before, to which he mucked. Also, i have taken 2 uncontested pots on the turn, from EP when all check flop. Its a $30+3, so i give him credit for remembering that.

PRE-FLOP
jibbidy folds,
riverking730 folds,
cdubbbb folds,
xcheckraiswx calls $75,
illa5th bets $300,
xcheckraiswx bets $2,410 and is all-in,
illa5th calls $1,235 and is all-in.
Hello!!!

I made this call WAY too quick. The original raise, i made thoughtfully. Then, he pushed a HUGE amount (relative to blinds, and current pot). I was SO in the mood of "he has observed my previous steals, and is snapping me off, bluff or semi-bluff" that i instantly called. Like, i beat him to the pot. That quick. I was SURE i had the better hand. Oops.
FLOP [board cards 3S,JH,JD ]
TURN [board cards 3S,JH,JD,5H ]
RIVER [board cards 3S,JH,JD,5H,2D ]

SHOWDOWN
xcheckraiswx shows [ AS,AC ]
illa5th shows [ AD,JS ]
xcheckraiswx wins $875, illa5th wins $3,370.

SUMMARY
Pot: $4,245
xcheckraiswx, bets $2,560, collects $875, net -$1,685
illa5th, bets $1,685, collects $3,370, net $1,685

I post this, of course, cause i made a HUGE suckout, honestly, one for the ages. But also, i want to disclose how SURE i was of my reads of the situation, and that i got WAY out of line and was shown AA in a pot where i could have seen the flop for free. Basically, i out-thought myself, and called a MASSIVE push into a not very big pot because of that.

No Question, i fully expect any reponses to be telling me i am a tard. I agree 100%. Just thought its funny, hope y'all laugh

bigredlemon
12-17-2004, 02:58 AM
I don't think you can fault yourself too much. With such a gigantic re-raise, I don't see how you can put him on AA. That said, he could still probably have a LOT of hands that beat you, and if he was just trying to steal the pot, he wouldn't have gone all in.

And your suckout isn't that bad.... AA gets killed by miracle straights and flushes all too often.