PDA

View Full Version : Building a DVD collection update 5

Non_Comformist
12-17-2004, 12:04 AM
I wasn’t able to watch Willard or Singles. Both were bought previously viewed and both had enough scratches to make them unwatchable. My fault for not checking, but it won’t happen again as buying used is not worth the frustration. I brought in The Hunt For Red October as a replacement, which is most likely an upgrade.

Movies rated 0-5, 3 or better required to make it in the collection >2.5 = good movie

TigerLand: Multiple full frontal nudity scenes makes up for multiple shots and unnecessary male ass shots. Interesting Vietnam era story but not as good as the first half of platoon.
Rating 2.45

Black Hawk Down: Accomplishes what it sets out to do which to put the viewed inside urban combat. Terrific special affects. We need more non-Chuck Norris featured Delta Force movies. Dialog gets corny at times and the movie attempts to manipulate emotionally in spots. Works as a pure combat film.
Rating 3.73

GoodFellas : Second best gangster film ever. Pesci is Pesci which is to say he is great in the right role, this obviously being one of them.
Rating 4.70

28days Later: I could see how some people would absolutely love this movie. Very original and intriguing film. However I wasn’t one of them as I thought it was OK. I would say that it is a must see at least once. I would have liked to see more from the infected and I thought the first half was much better than the last.
Rating 2.95

Fight Club : This movie actually caused me alter my how I was doing the ratings. The original plan was that each movie would its own unique score thus only 1 5.0 etc. However I couldn’t bring myself to giving Fight Club anything but. This will be known as the Fight Club amendment. This has to me one of the most watchable films ever made. I never get tired of seeing it. Great , great movie., unless you’re a pussy I guess
Rating 5.0

Reservoir Dogs: This movie works entirely because of Tarantino’s writing and the truly great performances by all involved. I can’t really see anyone not liking this movie.
Rating 4.20

Donnie Darko : This was a tough one to rate. I enjoyed much of it. Specifically the interaction between the perceived delusional Darko, his family, friends and teachers. Very similar to American Beauty it how well it was done. However while original the sci-fi aspects of the movie left me unsatisfied and feeling like I had just taken an exam. Perhaps I am not smart enough to fully “get it” I can live with that but I can’t live with having such a movie taking a spot in The Collection.
Rating 2.80

The Hunt For Red October : The first and best chapter in the Jack Ryan series. Also maybe the best Submarine movie ever made. The footage of the subs doing battle was awesome.
Rating 3.74

Gladiator: Classic epic film. Follows the formula too success for the most part (swords, war, & violence) could have used some nudity. Makes the abysmal abortion of a film that is Alexander that much more apparent.
Rating 4.15

That makes The Collection as follows.

1. Godfather Part I 5.00
.. Godfather Part II 5.00
.. Fight Club 5.00
4. GoodFellas 4.70
5. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 4.60
6. Saving Private Ryan 4.57
7. Office Space 4.55
8. Braveheart 4.50
9. The Usual Suspects 4.45
10. Pale Rider 4.40
11. Training Day 4.35
12. The Last Samurai 4.30
13. Swingers 4.25
14. Reservoir Dogs 4.20
15. Gladiator 4.15
16. Sleepers 4.10
17. Die Hard 4.00
18. Donnie Brasco 3.90
19. Spinal Tap 3.85
20. Meet the Parents 3.75
21. The Hunt For Red October 3.74
22. Black Hawk Down 3.73
23. Boiler Room 3.70
24. 24 Season 1 3.65
25. Catch Me If You Can 3.60
26. Zoolander 3.55
27. Clear & Present Danger 3.50
28. Oceans Eleven 3.45
29. City Hall 3.35
30. Fog of War 3.30
31. Jerry Maguire 3.27
32. Ace Ventura Pet Detective 3.25
33. The Godfather Part III 3.10
34. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 3.09

Pretty good group this time around. Nothing horrible. 66 spots remaining. I am getting to the point where I run the risk of leaving out some really good movies, Pulp Fiction, Se7en to name 2. Overall though I think it looks pretty good. Note: Due to the newly added Fight Club amendement The GodFather II was increased to 5.00

fsuplayer
12-17-2004, 12:37 AM
i agree that 28later was a cool and original movie. havent seen dawn of the dead yet, but i bought it and cant wait to see it. heard that its a great zombie movie.

my tastes and opinions follow very close to yours actually.

dont know if others enjoy the weekly rating, but i sure do, keep em up.

i really need to see Hunt For...i heard im missing out on a good flick.

good picks this week.

fsuplayer

Non_Comformist
12-17-2004, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i agree that 28later was a cool and original movie. havent seen dawn of the dead yet, but i bought it and cant wait to see it. heard that its a great zombie movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dawn of The Dead is fun if can enjoy a movie that doesn't take itself serious and has a good time with cliche's.

I can't imagine how you wouldn't like The Hunt For Red October.

CrazyEyez
12-17-2004, 12:48 AM
Red October is awesome. Alec Baldwin was a way better Ryan than Harrison Ford.

fsuplayer
12-17-2004, 01:04 AM
i obviously cant compare, but baldwin would have to be be pretty good to be better than ford.

those kind of roles seem taylor made for ford. im a big fan of clear and present danger.

Non_Comformist
12-17-2004, 04:33 AM
Gettysburg, The Patriot, & South Park the movie. I have high hopes for all three. I am most interested in Gettysburg as I have never seen. Looks long.

Your ratings and thoughts on the above?

fsuplayer
12-17-2004, 04:45 AM
Gettysburg, The Patriot, & South Park

havent seen gettysburg, but have heard pretty good things.

the patriot i didnt like too much. its okay once, but i wouldnt watch it again (unlike gladiator and braveheart, which are similar movies).
just a blah kind of movie. i would think you will give it a 2-2.5. it doesnt do anything new and the characters arent that likable.

south park is funny as hell and you can def. watch it many times. i dont watch the show a ton, so i cant compare too much, but its pretty damn funny.

jar
12-17-2004, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
those kind of roles seem taylor made for ford. im a big fan of clear and present danger.

[/ QUOTE ]
The film roles yes, but if you read the books, Alec Baldwin is much closer to the actual Jack Ryan character.

beerbandit
12-17-2004, 01:24 PM
with patroit do not expect anything like braveheart -- which i did, youll be very dissapointed then

collections looking good --

cheers

KJS
12-17-2004, 08:48 PM
I've never understood buying movies.

With so many films in existence, why watch 100 of them more than once when you can rent different ones? Just my opinion.

I feel the same about books, honestly. I find them good to own only for the purpose of lending out. Reference books excluded. Too many people buy them just to show off, IMO.

KJS

Non_Comformist
12-17-2004, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never understood buying movies.

With so many films in existence, why watch 100 of them more than once when you can rent different ones? Just my opinion.

I feel the same about books, honestly. I find them good to own only for the purpose of lending out. Reference books excluded. Too many people buy them just to show off, IMO.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

My brother says the same thing but for atleast it is more like collecting baseball cards of comics (minus the for profit aspect) in that I get enjoyment out of not just watching but building a collection.

thatpfunk
12-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Buying books is one of my favorite things. Being able to open up any of my favorites and read a chapter when my life calls for it helps to keep me sane.

Non_Comformist
12-17-2004, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Buying books is one of my favorite things. Being able to open up any of my favorites and read a chapter when my life calls for it helps to keep me sane.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always like the brief moments of enjoyment looking a great book that you have read can bring as you recall the best parts and how you felt reading it. Little moments like that can make a day better. For me atleast.

Non_Comformist
12-18-2004, 08:22 AM
My next viewings are

The Fast and The Furious
Heat
The Ring

Your thoughts, predictions & ratings on the above.

I think the Fast and the Furious may be a stretch but you never know. I have high hopes for The Ring and the only real question on Heat is how high it ends up.

thatpfunk
12-18-2004, 08:29 AM
heat is sweet
fast and furious is semi enjoyable is you take it for exactly what it is...
and i havent seen the ring

wacki
12-18-2004, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dawn of The Dead is fun if can enjoy a movie that doesn't take itself serious and has a good time with cliche's.

[/ QUOTE ]

What cliche's were there in Dawn of the Dead?

And how doesn't it take itself seriously?

fsuplayer
12-18-2004, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Fast and The Furious
Heat
The Ring

[/ QUOTE ]

the fast and the furious= not too bad. if you like cars and have a good surround sound and TV, then its not too bad.
the second one is godawful, but this one is mildly entertaining, but doesnt stand a chance to make the collection.

Heat-

was way too tired and young (14) when i watched it, so cant really comment, nor do I remember it.

The Ring-
a very good horror flick in my opinion. scary and interesting. plus naoimi watts is gorgeous.

CrazyEyez
12-18-2004, 12:32 PM
F and F: you pretty much know exactly what it's going to be like; 2.0

Heat: has possibly the best, most real-feeling shoot-out scene in movie history; 4.5

Ring - OK I guess, for that kind of movie. Didn't think the end fit; 2.0