PDA

View Full Version : Easy laptop question

JeffO
12-16-2004, 11:09 PM
I've never owned a laptop and I'm buying one for my parents for Christmas. Now a friend, who knows less than I do about computers is telling me you can't get internet service with a laptop unless you also have a desktop PC to go with your laptop. He is wrong isn't he?

Also do you need a router to run your laptop wireless if its your only computer?

Thanks

Caveman
12-16-2004, 11:19 PM
No need for desktop laptop will connect by itself.
You will need a wireless router (to broadcast the wireless signal) to connect using wireless, but would just need ethernet cable or phone line to connect directly to your modem.
Edit(This is assuming a cable or DSL modem setup, if you use the dial up modem in the computer you will need to connect to a phone line wireless will not work using the laptops internal modem)

Kash
12-16-2004, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never owned a laptop and I'm buying one for my parents for Christmas. Now a friend, who knows less than I do about computers is telling me you can't get internet service with a laptop unless you also have a desktop PC to go with your laptop. He is wrong isn't he?

Also do you need a router to run your laptop wireless if its your only computer?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
You can use a wireless access point only (no router needed) if it is your only computer.
But the routers are so cheap that you may want to get one if you think you may get another computer someday or want friends to be able to also connect their laptops when they come over.

**note, friends must be purchased separately /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BusterStacks
12-17-2004, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
You can use a wireless access point only (no router needed) if it is your only computer.
But the routers are so cheap that you may want to get one if you think you may get another computer someday or want friends to be able to also connect their laptops when they come over.

**note, friends must be purchased separately /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not bother with an access point, as they can be as much or more expensive than a router, which is actually more funtional. I have owned every major wireless router, and can safely recommend a Netgear for ease of setup. Any of them will work and perform the same, though.