PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your online stash

FishBurger
12-16-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm starting to build up a healthy online bankroll (couple Gs in Neteller and a little over 1G at PokerStars) and I would like to make sure I'm adequately protected from online fraud.

There are four things I can think of that would help protect my online accounts:
1) change passwords every couple of months
2) install a firewall on my computers (I currently use ZoneAlarm. Does anyone know if this is a good firewall product? Should I get something else?)
3) Install a virus checker (I don't have one yet, but I will be purchasing one next week. Any recommendations?)
4)Keep up with Windows and Office Updates

What else should I do to ensure my online bankroll is fully protected from hackers and whatnot?

Bigwig
12-16-2004, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What else should I do to ensure my online bankroll is fully protected from hackers and whatnot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give your wife/girlfriend your passwords.

nuclear500
12-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Theres really not a whole lot to worry about unless someone installs a keygrabber piece of software or replaces the tcp/ip stack.

Everything is encrypted.

Just don't place your NetTeller Account number, PIN and password and 'stars password anywhere that someone would find it if they broke into your house and didn't know you were an online poker player.

I think you're over thinking the need - what you've posted is generally good idea's for protecting your system from hackers in general - not really anything whatsoever to do directly with your Poker playing.

rybones
12-17-2004, 02:35 PM
if you are truly concerned, I would be happy to watch over your money. Just transfer to my nettellar account and I promise to keep it safe. PM me if you would like the account # to transfer you funds. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CardMinger
12-17-2004, 02:35 PM
The best protection and the one that I use personally is having your bank create two seperate savings account s(a "sub" account) and link your neteller & stars account to one of those. Then what I do is cash out my party account / neteller every now and then to one sub account and then transfer that money into the second sub account (the one not linked to neteller). This method gives you another layer of protection while still allowing you to keep your BR seperate from your regular accounts. Most banks do this free as long as you keep $50 in each account or something.

Sorry if that was confusing but let me know if you have any questions.

DrPhysic
12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
Thoughts:
1. good. may not be necessary, but what the H***.
2. I used ZoneAlarm for years. Recently switched to Norton Security Firewall and really think it is better.
3. Norton Virus. (I use Norton Systemworks Pro 2004 which has a lot of other stuff also. Slows the machine down a bit but seldom noticeable.)
4. Absolutely
5. Switch from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox. Much better online security.
6. Download Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster, and/or Bazooka. Update and run any two of the four regularly, even though other programs (Norton) claim to have spyware protection. See C-Net for downloads. All are shareware.
7. Do Virus update every couple of days. The new viruses are coming out that fast. Do all other updates, windows etc, weekly.

Too much online security is never wrong.

Doc

lucas9000
12-17-2004, 03:19 PM
use a hardware firewall (ie, router) rather than software firewall. also, ditch windows (although that would leave you with like one poker site to play on...but you'd be safer from hackers /images/graemlins/smile.gif )