PDA

View Full Version : Playing AK, semi-unusual situation

ThorGoT
12-16-2004, 08:05 PM
I've faced this situation twice now in the past couple of days, and I imagine I will face it again. The general scenario is simple: (1) early in a tournament, at least one player before me and myself are in the pot but not pot committed; (2) a medium stack goes all-in after us in a 'steal' position; (3) the medium stack all-in is called -- *but not raised* -- by a sandwiched stack (between the all-in bet and my earlier call) comparable to my own; and (4) I have AK, suited or otherwise, and a regular stack. What range of hands do the raiser and the caller have, and what should I do? The previous time I had faced a similar situation, I went all in and was called by the other regular stack; the medium stack had 88 and the other regular stack had something like AJ.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t930)
MP2 (t375)
MP3 (t1535)
Hero (t1170)
Button (t530)
SB (t400)
BB (t1125)
UTG (t1360)
UTG+1 (t2575)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t90</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls t90, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t530 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls t440, Hero . . . .

tigerite
12-16-2004, 08:07 PM
I've folded AQ in a similar situation only to have them turn over AJ and AT, but I think you do have to fold here, you're unlikely to be ahead of both, and one of your aces is probably gone too..

Big Limpin'
12-16-2004, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the medium stack all-in is called -- *but not raised*

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning bells go off

Thats what i would do with a monster. Trying to get 3-way action. I doubt your AQ is best. Muck.

tigerite
12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
He actually has AK, but I still think he's behind to a pair from at least one of these two. The other probably has AQ or something that is dominated, but leaves you only 5 outs to beat the other guy. You'd almost be hoping he had QQ and the other guy AQ (or similar XX to AX) were you to call, as that gives you 35% odds or something along those lines.

Gramps
12-16-2004, 08:45 PM
It sucks the times that the button turns out to be a crazy with a nothing hand, and UTG is calling simply because he's loose (AJ or something like that), but it's early, no need to get involved.

Against the range of hands the button and UTG could have the way the betting has gone, AA/KK is definitely a possibility for UTG, it's probably not a huge +EV chip play to push (calling would be really bad, of course). You have chips, be patient and wait for a better spot.

And of course, if UTG pushes, you fold too. If UTG folds, it's a pretty easy call, since the button could be pushing a wider range of non-pair hands (you're probably at least a slight favorite on average it would seem), you have a nice overlay, and you'll still have a good number of chips left if you lose.

Richter
12-16-2004, 08:46 PM
I fold here all the time. Good chance an ace or king is dead making it less likely you'll make a pair.