PDA

View Full Version : Hit trips early tourney, gets raised all in. Call/fold?

bigredlemon
12-16-2004, 06:35 PM
T8o. Full table limps ahead so I complete. Flop is TTA raindbow. I check. UTG raises all in for 1050, putting me all in. It's folded to me. Blinds at 10/20 with the pot at 180 or 200.

BB is a known manic aggressive. (Raised all in in two of the last three hands once with K7s!, so it's a pretty loose table.)

Whether he had Tx or AA, this move doesn't make sense. But it's a crazy table so out-thinking them might just be a waste of time. Easy fold or call?

(Actually, I did call, and typing this thing out made me realize how stupid my call was given that I still had plently of chances to find a better spot to showdown.)

FYI he had: <font color="white"> TJo </font>

Lloyd
12-16-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm probably calling here a majority of the time, especially since you're reading him as a maniac. The liklihood of him holding Ax is too great for me to lay it down.

bigredlemon
12-16-2004, 06:54 PM
I haven't got a clear read on the UTG raiser since there's been so few hands. It's BB that's the maniac, so I'm hoping he'll call with any A. So if i'm right I could triple and get to play big stack for awhile. If not, off to the poor house.

burningyen
12-16-2004, 07:41 PM
I would fold. No matter how much of a maniac he might be, he was all-in UTG with almost a whole table full of players yet to act. You have to put him on a T, and your kicker is way too borderline.

Also, what do you mean UTG raised? Did the BB bet? I assume you mean UTG just bet.

adanthar
12-16-2004, 08:33 PM
you have trips, why is this even a question

OK, I'm simplifying here, but...you have trips, it's level 2 and everyone at the table apparently sucks. And you have trips.

Also, you have trips.

Sometimes, people overthink hands. This is one of those times.

Lloyd
12-16-2004, 08:39 PM
The bottom line is that at some point in the tournament you're going to have to put your chips at risk. In this case, there's a fairly good liklihood that you have the best hand. Better to put your chips in the middle now with that possibility versus down the road when are more likely to have the worst of it.

zaxx19
12-17-2004, 12:59 AM
MMM thats a hard one. It seems even a HORRIBLE player wouldnt just bluff like that to win a smallish pot. The only hands I could put anyone on is a K10 or A10. q10 or j10 cant just bet out like that...can they?? I dont know really depends on HOW psycho you think he is. I mean if the board was 22A he can act like a nutjob and know he probably isnt gonna be up against a 2. But with 10's....its just SOOOO playablke with a J K A 9 Q early in tourneys. Infact it is probably one of the most played cards.

EDIT: Didnt see you had a result there. Guess I am weak tight assuming K10 or A10..but then again didnt really matter since you had an 10 8 did it.

JaBlue
12-17-2004, 01:26 AM
Since he's a maniac, I would call here. Even if you're behind like you are there's not a bad chance to chop it up. If he's a maniac, he just has an ace here too many times to lay down.

Also, if you want more useful replies, don't say something like "I realized how stupid this call was" or "he had X" until after you get replies - by saying "this call was so stupid" you're telling everybody who might want to give you advice that you were crushed.

niin
12-17-2004, 07:36 AM
I don't think I could fold here... With the ace out there, it's a good possiblity he has Ax. Also, if he's got a ten with a bigger kicker, you could still split the pot.

Mammux
12-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Cheap tourney, I would call. More expensive, I would fold. For two reasons; first, if the buyin is a smaller component of the cost of the tournament (the price of time being more important), getting out early or far ahead is tempting.

Second, other players think this way as well, so it's more likely that someone will go all-in with Ax in a cheap tourney.

-Magnus

Al Mirpuri
12-17-2004, 09:55 AM
I call, take your risks early in a tourney.