PDA

View Full Version : Hand Analysis! Need some input on my thoughts and play

sloplynseto
12-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Scenario: local 20 person tournament, top 3 get paid.
9 players left-2 tables, final 8 makeup one final table. currently 4 players at my table and 5 at the other.$10,000 chips in play.

I really want some anaylysis on my thought process and did I move at the right time in the hand

Following situation comes blinds $75/$100
Hero-button- $1800
sb-$75-$375 remaining
bb-$150-$1350 remaining
UTG-$800

UTG folds
Hero-K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif raises to $450
SB- goes all in $400 tota
BB-calls

Flop K-2-2 rainbow

BB checks
Hero bets $500
BB calls

Turn 9-

BB checks
Hero moves in remaining $650
BB calls his remaining chips

River 7

BB shows A K for the win.
SB shows 10-J
Hero shows KQ
PREFLOP PLAY
1) I felt my raise preflop was good! Because if the SB (shortstack) would push all in my raise would isolate me with him.

POSTFLOP
1) I felt this would was good flop for me. If the BB would have had a big hand he would have reraised preflop to isolate the small blind, especially with a hand like A-K.
2) The check by the BB made feel 100% like my hand was good , his call of my bet seemed like possibly K-J or K-10. If he has A-K he would reraise here on this flop

POST TURN.
1) The check by the BB I read as another good sign. Move all in giving him a chance to laydown a couple of hands and move to the final table

Any thoughts would be helpful and please be critical if you see something , I really want to get better, and enjoy others insight on playing a hand.

Thanks
Sloplynseto

adanthar
12-16-2004, 04:09 PM
Is BB any good? If he is, after he calls the flop you are ahead of exactly 0 hands (well, maybe a medium pair).

If he's not, you're ahead of a lot more and should do exactly what you did.

Lloyd
12-16-2004, 05:10 PM
As soon as he called the flop I was thinking AK. But that's the ONLY hand you are reasonably behind with. I doubt if he has 2x and he probably would have raised with KK or AA to isolate the all-in blind. So, like adanthar says, it all comes down to your read. A good player would only play AK like this. A weak one could have a lesser hand. Measure him up and play accordingly.

schwza
12-16-2004, 06:05 PM
i would check behind on the flop in order to give him a chance to bluff. if you're ahead, you're way ahead. the most outs he could have is 3 with Ax, and could have 2 with a pocket pair. i guess if he has something like KT, he has 3 outs to a win and 5 to a chop (1 K, 4 A's). but i can't imagine him calling you pre-flop with KJ or worse. so he's likely drawing dead or to 2 outs. or is way ahead.

if you check now, he might bet his 99/AQ on the turn. you're going to get busted if you're behind here - you don't have nearly enough chips to get away from this hand - so you may as well try to extract chips from hands you're ahead of.

and yes, your pre-flop raise was good. if you had limped or folded there, it would have been pretty bad.

btw, he was probably thinking similar things to what i wrote, which is why he was playing his hand very passively.

schwza
12-16-2004, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A good player would only play AK like this. A weak one could have a lesser hand. Measure him up and play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you suggesting hero do? he started with 12 big blinds and put 3 of them into the pot pre-flop. there are 9 bb's in the pot on the flop and hero has 9 in his stack. there is no way hero should lay this down unless villain flips his cards up.