PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong that I can't bring myself to care...

Richard Tanner
12-16-2004, 03:51 PM
about the middle east. That is, Isreal and Palistine. I just don't care. I'm not anti-semetic, I'm just apathetic. It seems people on our side of the Atlantic Ocean are up in arms about this whole thing and I'm afraid I just can't feign interest.
So I ask you, the mostly educated posters on this board, why is it that we seem to care so much about these two eternal and mortal enemies killing one another?

Cody

Hack
12-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Maybe it's debated so hotly here because the United States has reasonably sized Jewish and Islamic populations.

Just a thought.

And it's debated hotly in the United States because the United States is the sole superpower left in the world and because the United States believes that it has a vital interest in the Middle East- part of it is oil, part of it is for other reasons.

RayGarlington
12-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Heck no, you don't need to care. There are so many things going on in the world, no one can keep up with it all (or even a small fraction of it). Persue your interests and do what you feel is right

Cyrus
12-17-2004, 12:16 AM
"Is it wrong that I can't bring myself to care about the middle east? That is, Isreal and Palestine. I just don't care. I'm not anti-semetic, I'm just apathetic. It seems people on our side of the Atlantic Ocean are up in arms about this whole thing and I'm afraid I just can't feign interest. So I ask you ... why is it that we seem to care so much about these two eternal and mortal enemies killing one another?"

Because the United States has a vital stake in keeping the oil flowing freely from that oil-rich region.

Because the strategic interests of the United States would rightly be to side with and not antagonize the Arabs on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. (The Arab regimes have historicaly been the most anti-communist regimes ever. The fact that they were obliged to seek refuge in the Soviet bear's embrace only demonstrates the extreme frustration of those regimes in the face of unquestioning American support of Israeli policies.)

Because the United States could play the role of the honest arbitrator in the Middle East, balancing morality (don't laugh!) with strategic interests, but, on account of the disporportionately strong political influence (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/155652482X/qid=1103256222/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/104-3861940-6679141) of the AIPACs, it never did.

Because the United States of America has pumped billions of dollars Israel's way, in the form of low-interest loans, outright grants and cheaply marked military meterial.

Because the American stance on the Arab/Israeli conflict (along with some seriously misjudged American moves in the Afghanistan/Pakistan region) has instigated Muslim radicalism and its spin-off, religious terrorism.

...But there's at least one benefit from all this: The Israeli hawks' undying gratitude to the United States. Google for "U.S.S. Liberty" or "Jonathan Pollard" for some o'that gratitude. (Or read Gamblor's and Zaxx's posts.)

zaxx19
12-17-2004, 02:42 AM
I think you are right we should sell out only friend in the region out..and support those Arabs. Helped us when we sided with the Muslims in Afghanistan didnt it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif They sure love us now especially the Muslims who actually fought with weapons bought by american tax dollars.

Cyrus
12-17-2004, 03:07 AM
"[sarcastically] We should sell out our only friend in the region, Israel."

"Nations do not have friends. They have interests". (Aren't you supposed to know that stuff before you start posting on a website with adults?)

"[sarcastically] Those Arabs ... helped us when we sided with the Muslims in Afghanistan didnt it."

Why are you telling me all that crap?

Tell it to your neo-con, pro-Israeli pals. The ones who supported and propped up the "anti-communist" guerillas in Afghanistan. The guerillas that begat bin Landen's ilk.

I would speculate those crazy neo-cons had taken a leaf out of Israeli policy's book. Y'know, when Israel propped up and supported religious fundamentalist "humanitarian" organisations like Hamas - in order to lower the popularity of the (secular) PLO? Yep, that's what I'm talking about.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

zaxx19
12-17-2004, 03:53 AM
Does that mean something??

Your logic:
Arab kills Arab(Lebanon)- Jews fault

Jews kill Arabs who are trying to kill Jews- Jews fault

Arab flies plane into WTC killing thousands of American civilians- once again Jews fault.

Bunch of brainwashed illiterate unemployed people resent the U.S.--- Jews fault

Im detecting a trend in your logic.