PDA

View Full Version : 2/4 Full vs. 1/2 6 max

MisterNatural
12-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Has anyone found that their BB/100 is better at 2/4 full than 1/2 6 max at Party?

I'm slightly + at the 6 max, but my VP$IP gravitates to 21 which is supposedly way too low for 6 max. I like to multitable which probably hurts my 6 max play a lot more than it would at full.

I know I can work more on my 6-max, but I wanted to hear from multitablers who just found that the full table 2/4 was better suited for them. How do the swings compare?

Thanks

MisterKing
12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I jumped from Paradise 1/2 5-max (with a little, but not a whole lot of 6-max) to Party 2/4 full ring about 2 months ago. The switch was relatively seamless, and my winrate has improved nicely. I was 2 or 3-tabling the 5-max games, and am now 4-tabling the 2/4... very manageable, and boy are the games good! The aggression you've (hopefully) learned on 6-max will really help in blind defense/stealing in the full games.

One interesting thing I've found: the variance has been HIGHER at 2/4 full than at 1/2 short. I think the overall passive nature of Paradise's tables contributed to this. Nonetheless, the dollar amounts just seem much larger at 2/4, and wild swings of 50-75BB have been more common that I would have preferred over my first 11K hands at 2/4. Still, as I said above, my win rate is better at 2/4, so I'm sticking with it.

ctv1116
12-16-2004, 04:07 PM
It's possible. The rake is absolutely brutal at 1/2 6max.

Jeff W
12-16-2004, 04:53 PM
My winrate at 2/4 was higher than my winrate at 1/2 6max over a significant amount of hands for each. At 1/2 6 max multi-tabling won't hurt you much because your opponents are very weak and you have a huge edge.

At higher levels of 6-max, multi-tabling is very tough relative to full ring, because ABC poker will get you massacred against the tricky/aggros at 5/10 and 10/20 6-max. 4-tabling full ring is roughly equivalent to 2-tabling 6-max because of the speed of the game and the increased importance of reads in 6-max. SD/100 is about 60% higher at 6-max vs. full ring.

If you have the bankroll to play 2/4, you should play 2/4 instead of 1/2 6-max. If you're deciding between 3/6 full or 5/10 full and 5/10 6-max, you need to base the decision on temperament and skill.

5/10 6-max is quite a bit tougher and has vicious downswings(200-300 BB downswings are not uncommon for good players). It's tough to know you're a winning player without 50000 hands or more at 6-max. Full ring is much less volatile and more enjoyable. It takes a special type of person to enjoy 6-max, especially if they're trying to earn a living.

MisterNatural
12-17-2004, 06:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the variance has been HIGHER at 2/4 full than at 1/2 short. I think the overall passive nature of Paradise's tables contributed to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Paradise 1/2 5 max is a blast! I just finished the GRANNY bonus there and I think it was softer than the Party 6 max, though I only played so many hands before cashing out. I wish i'd found that game earlier. Glad to hear your transition went smoothly. Sounds like i'm 2/4 bound this weekend!

MisterNatural
12-17-2004, 06:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you have the bankroll to play 2/4, you should play 2/4 instead of 1/2 6-max.

Full ring is much less volatile and more enjoyable. It takes a special type of person to enjoy 6-max..

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give 2/4 a shot this weekend and see how things go. I really enjoy 6-max but it can be maddening sometimes! I can see why people recommend 500 BB's for a bankroll at the higher levels.

Mr. Graff
12-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Full seems much better suited for multitabling than 6 max. Less need for keeping track of opponents (trickier at 6 max) and rake structure and variance is better.