PDA

View Full Version : california split

mostsmooth
12-16-2004, 01:30 PM
why does a 30 year old movie that most people have never heard of cost $20?
i would think i could pick this up in the walmart discount bin for $5.50 no?

meow_meow
12-16-2004, 03:41 PM
just guessing: Altman

DonWaade
12-16-2004, 04:32 PM
To my understanding it was JUST released for the first time to DVD. I have been wanting to watch it. Did you buy, and if so, was it any good?

tek
12-16-2004, 04:34 PM
It was a very good movie about degenerate gambling in California. MAde in 1974, it may seem dated but it is still worth seeing. There is some good improv in it with Gould and Segal.

The only problem is the original filmography quality sucked. So even if you buy a vhs of it that was never viewed, it will seem like it was watched 100 times.

mostsmooth
12-16-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To my understanding it was JUST released for the first time to DVD. I have been wanting to watch it. Did you buy, and if so, was it any good?

[/ QUOTE ]
i didnt buy it, but i do believe ive seen people here praise it

SheridanCat
12-16-2004, 07:02 PM
It was hard to get. You could occasionally see it at an art house, but it wasn't available otherwise.

I got it from Netflix a couple weeks ago, and I liked it. The poker scenes are a bit amusing as they take place at the old player dealt draw games.

Overall, a good gambling picture.

Regards,

T

dogmeat
12-16-2004, 07:10 PM
No problem with the film quality on my copy. It is a lot of fun to look at LA and Reno thirty years ago. Elliot Gould plays his part like several players I have know, who just want to gamble and have fun - even if it's for a buck or two.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

KJS
12-16-2004, 08:30 PM
It's great. It is just out on DVD for the first time. Never even went to VHS if I am correct. That was a good thing though 'cause the indie theaters would roll it out once in a while knowing people couldn't watch it at home.

KJS

Sponger15SB
12-16-2004, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why does a 30 year old movie that most people have never heard of cost $20?
i would think i could pick this up in the walmart discount bin for $5.50 no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since nobody has mentioned it yet this is GAMBLING News, Views, and Gossip.

And unless this movie is about gambling it should go in Other Other Topics.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif Carry on.

SheridanCat
12-16-2004, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Since nobody has mentioned it yet this is GAMBLING News, Views, and Gossip.

And unless this movie is about gambling it should go in Other Other Topics.

[/ QUOTE ]

The grin aside, the irony of this post is lost on me.

Regards,

T

Gabe
12-17-2004, 12:53 AM
When did you buy a vhs copy of it?

Howard Burroughs
12-17-2004, 07:14 AM
$20?

I spent $28 for mine (here in Las Vegas) and I think it may be the best $28 I ever spent.

The commentary with Gould, Segal, Altman & writer Joseph Walsh, is THE BEST dvd commentary of any DVD I own (around 500).

Lots of great scenes in this movie IMHO. Worth checking out.

Best Wishes

Howard

TimTimSalabim
12-17-2004, 02:23 PM
I really wanted to like this movie. I had never seen it, so when it came out on DVD, I moved it to the top of my Netflix queue and watched it the other day. It started off really promising in the beginning with some good poker scenes, but I have to say I was disappointed in the movie as a whole. The poker scenes at the end did not match the intensity and interest of the beginning. The scene that Roger Ebert raved about with the seven dwarfs also fell flat on me. I don't know, maybe the movie just went over my head. Or maybe there's something there that just hasn't held up over time.

As far as Elliot Gould goes, I'd much rather watch the movie Silent Partner. Unfortunately, it isn't out on DVD.

asb165
12-17-2004, 05:41 PM
My Tivo found it on my local WB station at 2:00 one morning and recorded it for me. I had it on my wishlist for about 5-6 months before it aired.

mike l.
12-17-2004, 08:17 PM
"scene that Roger Ebert raved about with the seven dwarfs also fell flat on me."

im trying to recall this and it's just not coming to me. was this california split we're still talking about?

TimTimSalabim
12-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Yes, there's a scene where they make a bet with each other about who can name all of the seven dwarfs.

mike l.
12-18-2004, 03:49 PM
oh yeah at the start, yeah that is funny. i really love that movie.

i was imagining some scene that doesnt exist where there's 7 midgets marching around a cardroom or something.