PDA

View Full Version : bottom straight

KenProspero
12-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Apologizing in advance, I don't have the entire history.

Three left in a tourney.

Hero has about 5500 chips, Villian about 3500 and Third player (Dealer) about 8000.

Villian has generally been tight passive (to this point).

Blinds are 300/150 with an ante of 100.

Hero playing A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Dealer folds, Hero calls, Villian Checks.

Flop is 5, 6, 8 rainbow.

Hero checks, Villian Checks.

Turn is 7, giving me the low straight.

Hero bets 600, Villian Pushes all-in.

Hero folds.

In reading what I wrote -- I've decided that I probably misplayed this hand badly, but would appreciate any comments (without getting flamed too bad, I hope).

My biggest question, given a tight player, was the fold correct or with the bottom straight do I have to swallow hard and call it?

PE101
12-16-2004, 01:59 PM
I may be overly tight, but I agree with your fold.

You've got the wrong end of the straight.

syka16
12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Steal with Axs don't limp. Since you limped, you can't put the blinds on any hands. You said he's tight passive, you could have bluffed the flop. Then on the turn you can be pretty sure he wouldn't have called a gut shot (being weak tight).

ColdestCall
12-16-2004, 03:51 PM
I agree with Syka - Ax suited doesnt really want to see a flop here. Raise, usually collect the blind, and move on to the next hand.

Given that you didnt raise, you may as well take a crack with a pot sized bet on the flop. After all, BB didnt indicate much of a hand and he could easily have missed the flop.

Given that you checked the flop, your fold to the all-in was very likely correct if this was a weak-tight, passive player.

KenProspero
12-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks, for confirming my gut feeling on the turn.

I agree completely my pre-flop (and probably on the flop) betting was wrong. After I folded, my thought was that I had no one to blame on that one but myself for that one.