PDA

View Full Version : Weird PokerStars Stuff

Vanquish
12-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Okay, it's possible I'm just being stupid and tell me if I am. I'm not one of those people that think anything is rigged or whatever. I've been keeping pokertracker stats for my last 106 SnGs and I've been two-tabling for most of the time, so I've been able to pay pretty close attention to both games. Here are my two weird things:

When I get dealt to at the same time or about the same time in both of my SnGs, the cards are always either the same (except for suits) or are very close to each other. I almost never seem to get, ya know, 27o at the same time as say QQ. I know their shuffling mechanism uses input from my mouse... but this just doesn't seem very random. Anyone else notice this?

Other thing... and yeah this could all be meaningless, but the pocket pair that I've gotten most often is 22 and the pocket pair I've gotten least often is AA. Next least often is QQ then KK. The frequency of most of my pocket pairs is very tightly clustered (around 36 times actually). I got 22 41 times. AA, KK, and QQ came only 25, 27, and 27 times respectively, so not only are they the least frequent, but they are far less frequent than any of the other pocket pairs.

Just weird stuff that seems outside of what the expected distribution would be. Am I crazy for thinking this is unusual or do I just not have enough data?

lorinda
12-16-2004, 01:13 PM
If you wish to convince yourself that this is purely random, play one table on one site and one on another.

It will still happen and any theory you try to cook up to make it look dodgy will be so convoluted that you can convince yourself pretty quickly that the game is fair.

Lori

Prime Time
12-16-2004, 03:33 PM
Do you go by the handle Extract on some other gambling site?
If it's you, please PM me. I have important info for you.

Bigwig
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got 22 41 times. AA, KK, and QQ came only 25, 27, and 27 times respectively, so not only are they the least frequent, but they are far less frequent than any of the other pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without even doing the math I can tell you that these numbers are well within the standard deviation.

As for the other things, the human mind tends to notice and remember similar events and coincidence. There's a genetic reason for that dating back to the 'run from the sabre tooth' days. Therefore, it's much more likely that your mind is playing tricks on you, or you've just happen to have a weird run.

The least likely scenario is something screwy with Stars software.

hurlyburly
12-16-2004, 04:23 PM
My favorite similar observation is when I'm in hands on both tables and the board on the opposite tables are perfect for me. I've had quads, flopped boats and flushes and nut straights, if only I could swap the boards...

I'd say the best one was having A3c and A7d and getting opposite flush flops. Sure wish I had enough presence to SS that one.

Marcotte
12-16-2004, 05:19 PM
When I first started double-tabling, my screen res was set so the PokerRoom window filled the entire screen. Often times, the other window would pop open (action on me), and the flop is perfect.....for my other hand. If I had a nickel for every set I THOUGHT I flopped.....

Then there were the times I go to click call on the first table only to have the second pop open at the last second. I called an UTG raise from LP with Q6o once because of that. Luckily I flopped two pair.

pooh74
12-16-2004, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite similar observation is when I'm in hands on both tables and the board on the opposite tables are perfect for me. I've had quads, flopped boats and flushes and nut straights, if only I could swap the boards...

I'd say the best one was having A3c and A7d and getting opposite flush flops. Sure wish I had enough presence to SS that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...this happens to me often (another reason not to believe anything "screwy" is afoot) to the point where i sometimes get excited and am about to raise right before realizing what an idiot I am and uttering "I shouldnt even two table"

Vanquish
12-16-2004, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got 22 41 times. AA, KK, and QQ came only 25, 27, and 27 times respectively, so not only are they the least frequent, but they are far less frequent than any of the other pocket pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without even doing the math I can tell you that these numbers are well within the standard deviation.

As for the other things, the human mind tends to notice and remember similar events and coincidence. There's a genetic reason for that dating back to the 'run from the sabre tooth' days. Therefore, it's much more likely that your mind is playing tricks on you, or you've just happen to have a weird run.

The least likely scenario is something screwy with Stars software.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I figured... its just unfortunate that I'm having this weird run... And no I'm not saying I think that PS is "rigged." There is no reason it should be. However, PS DOES use mouse input to determine the shuffle, so I don't think it's *as* crazy to think there might be something to the "i get the same hand at the same time" thing.

housenuts
12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
i usually play two tables. and when i get dealt something like 68o on one table i'll notice the flop on the other table came out 579 or something. or if i'm dealt T4 the flop will come out TT4 on the other table. i don't for a second think this is rigged or any other sort of non random event. i just know that the way the brain works is it notices and remembers when stuff like this happens, whereas it dismisses the countless other times it doesn't happen and you don't think about it.

SmileyEH
12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
You are just being stupid.

-SmileyEH

Sven
12-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Now I have noticed that for sure! Many many many times am I dealt cards at one table just like you said and my hand hits at the other table! Why I don't know but I have been watching that very closely /images/graemlins/grin.gif And have been able to use that to my advantage

The Yugoslavian
12-16-2004, 07:44 PM
It actually is about as 'crazy' to think that PS is rigged in the way you describe on PS as opposed to a site that doesn't use mouse input. It's like saying that my chances of having sex with Lindsay Lohan are better than already having sex with Natalie Portman because I live closer to Lindsay at the moment. Or better yet, it's a bit like saying that me already having had sex with Lindsay Lohan /images/graemlins/shocked.gif is more likely than having had sex with Natalie Portman /images/graemlins/shocked.gif b/c we live closer to each other. I'm still just as 'crazy' to think either one will or has happened. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

On the other hand, I don't think you're crazy, I think you're brain is too good at attempting to identify patterns and conclude causual relationships from them. This is one BIG reason we can even make $$ at poker == playing correctly often goes against our natural way of patterning the world. There is *no* cause and effect of losing with AA ten times in a row -- the events are all completely unrelated.

The Yugoslavian
12-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I got AA /images/graemlins/laugh.gif on two tables at the same time last night 3-handed on both tables as the short stack. At first I thought nothing of it except that I had gotten lucky and was happy about my good fortune /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

However, when I proceeded to win each SNG heads up at the *exact* same moment, I knew something fishy was going on /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

After a lot of careful contemplation I'm pretty sure that due to my 7 OOTM in a row earlier in the day /images/graemlins/mad.gif, Party Poker wanted to keep me spending money on their site and intentionally saved my *ss as a short stack 3 handed /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. They knew I was about to quit poker for good due to my bad run and deep frustration /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

I e-mailed their support about it earlier today but couldn't believe that they not only denied my allegations /images/graemlins/mad.gif, but then suggested that getting AA at the same time and winning at the same time should have made my day -- but how can I enjoy it when I know their cheating /images/graemlins/confused.gif?. They obviously don't play nearly enough poker to realize that these things just don't happen live (I've played over 1,000,000 hands /images/graemlins/ooo.gif live btw so I know what I'm talking about) and that they were being way too obvious. I hope they know people are starting to catch onto them and change their ways /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Suffice it to say, my $$ is no longer with Party Poker and I will only be playing live games from now on that aren't rigged /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Scuba Chuck
12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Marcotte, that is hilarious.

I had to let you know that I laughed out loud to hear that this happened to you. Hope you've learned to change your res, unless you like the random poker acts now and again.

housenuts
12-19-2004, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I got AA /images/graemlins/laugh.gif on two tables at the same time last night 3-handed on both tables as the short stack. At first I thought nothing of it except that I had gotten lucky and was happy about my good fortune /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

However, when I proceeded to win each SNG heads up at the *exact* same moment, I knew something fishy was going on /images/graemlins/confused.gif.

After a lot of careful contemplation I'm pretty sure that due to my 7 OOTM in a row earlier in the day /images/graemlins/mad.gif, Party Poker wanted to keep me spending money on their site and intentionally saved my *ss as a short stack 3 handed /images/graemlins/shocked.gif. They knew I was about to quit poker for good due to my bad run and deep frustration /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

I e-mailed their support about it earlier today but couldn't believe that they not only denied my allegations /images/graemlins/mad.gif, but then suggested that getting AA at the same time and winning at the same time should have made my day -- but how can I enjoy it when I know their cheating /images/graemlins/confused.gif?. They obviously don't play nearly enough poker to realize that these things just don't happen live (I've played over 1,000,000 hands /images/graemlins/ooo.gif live btw so I know what I'm talking about) and that they were being way too obvious. I hope they know people are starting to catch onto them and change their ways /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

Suffice it to say, my $$ is no longer with Party Poker and I will only be playing live games from now on that aren't rigged /images/graemlins/cool.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you ever think the reason this doesn't happen live is because you don't 2-table live? thus making it impossible.